99 xj rear leaf packs to s10 pack

davids4x4
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

99 xj rear leaf packs to s10 pack

Unread post by davids4x4 »

hi: it been some time long story short my son end up with my 1991 red xj.. could not live without one gut a good deal on a 1999 to good to pass up but needs fixing... 4door 4L rear leaf pack junk and 1 spring hanger broken...want to lift it about 4.5"" been getting items together i learn from my 92 what to do.. i did a s10 basket leaf pack but hated the ride becouse rear hanger was all most strigh up/down.. xj packs are 52" long the s10 is 54" long and xj cener pin is 23.5"x28 as s10 is28x26 about that mean leaf pack flat no arch the axle would sit back 3" but we all know s10 have a big arch..i working on the bolts not easy but coming along... getting parts together..so i asking if someone here or know if it can be done.. hope to have it done before the end of may.. thanks
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: 99 xj rear leaf packs to s10 pack

Unread post by Frank »

I have no experience with XJs but the off set of the center pin will be the biggest difference. I would think the most important issue here is spring with. If the S-10 spring is narrower , you will have to change or shim your spring mounts and hangers. What if you use the XJ main leaf for position and used the S-10 pak for the lift. What is the Vehicle weight of both ? Then you could add or subtract a leaf for ride quality. Good luck with that. FjR68
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I think you will create a clearance problem if you move the rear axle back 3"... I think the diff may not clear the gas tank unless you add a lot of bump stops, which hurts up-travel / flex... Also, I think the wheel wells are going to be a problem if the tires aren't centered. I have a 4.5" lift on my XJ and the rear diff and gas tank are pretty tight when things get compressed - like only ~1" (or a little less) of clearance between my gas tank skid and diff cover. I run a 34x10.50 LTB and the tires rub the rear of the wheel well at full stuff already.

The shocks may also be an issue because the XJ has one shock behind the axle... Move it back 3" and I don't think it will reach the top mount on the body and it may get crunched / bent by the tube when you compress that side.

You'd also have to extend the brake line, but that may not be a big deal if you're going to get a longer one for the lift anyway. E-brake cables from a YJ may be needed to get extra length there.

I would suggest getting a quality after market XJ leaf pack to maintain the axle position... A BDS 3" + 1.5" shackle is a good combo for a 4.5" lift. The BDS springs have a lifetime warranty (I'm on my 2nd set), so they are a safe investment of $.

I know that may not be the answer you want, but I think an S10 spring is going to create other issues.

JW
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

MUCH better bastard leaf packs are from a 4x4 Dodge Dakota. You simply redrill the spring plates from the XJ so everything lines up.

However, this seems like a lot of work and a waste of your time. BDS springs and shackles are much better than used S-10 springs. Military spring wrap, the correct spring rate for the lift height and vehicle control AND weight, and the dog leg shackles will really let the spring flex. Lifetime warranty - BONUS. And then get some Fox or Bilstein shocks.
I don't see the point in installing something that doesn't fit and then have a crappy ride/handling and poor performance off road. I would rather drive with confidence.
davids4x4
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by davids4x4 »

hi: thanks for the replys.. like i said before i did used s-10 packs with the xj main leaf on my 92 build.. what i trying this time is to stay away from that becouse my rear shakles were sright up and down not at 45* bad ride did get the lift 4.5 out but the ride suck... nostraw i not realy move the axle 3" back becouse of the arch of the s10 pack i think it be about 1-1/2" max.. when i did my 92 i did a 8.8 swap and used the most foward hole as to move the axle back 1" had no issues..for now i going to used the 8.25 in it now till i find a good ford 8.8 4.10 ...if needed i could move the main center pin 2" and redrill new hole in main leaf of the s10 pack.. i cant use the xj springs junk.. and bsd packs.. i am trying to keep the cost down..i was hopeing someone did it or know someone did and could tell me what needed..as for brake line i know i have most of items need inclued front spring with bsd coil adjuster with drop arm brackets.. as for ebrake it not like my 92 so i have to look into that...and for the drive shaft i longer one and do the tranfercase drop and go from there....