I want bigger tires

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Harringt0n
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2007
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

I want bigger tires

Unread post by Harringt0n »

Hi guys I just bought my first Wrangler and really want to put some larger tires on it but I'm by no means a mechanic. I have a 2007 Sahara with 18" stock wheels. I was thinking of going with a smaller wheel (17") and a larger tire (33"). The ones I like are the Tuff T01 and was thinking of pairing them with Nitto Terra Grapplers. The tires were a suggestion of the guy who sells wheels by me (Zeke's in Rehoboth).
My first question is if I buy these, will I just be able to take off the old and put these in their place? Or do I need to purchase anything else to make them fit properly? Also I would love to raise it up with a lift kit but again, I could not do it myself. Any ideas where I could go to get something like that done in southeast MA? I live in Taunton.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk 4
thanks to modern chemistry, sleep is now optional
Rabbit
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: I want bigger tires

Unread post by Rabbit »

When it comes to tires, the more rubber the better. The main thing is that the bolt pattern matches up. See: http://www.crawlpedia.com/wheel_dimensions.htm

Here are some options as far as lifts: http://www.roughcountry.com/suspension- ... le_year=68

That's just from Rough Country. I've had nothing but good experiences with their stuff, but you can go with anybody. Most competent mechanics can do any this, but you might want to try and find someone that specializes in Jeeps or at least trucks or off-road for the more complex stuff.

As for the tires, I hear they are decent. Like any all-terrain tire, I wouldn't use them for rock crawling in Arizona or Colorado, but they should handle some mild trails and be great on the road.
Harringt0n

Rabbit wrote:When it comes to tires, the more rubber the better. The main thing is that the bolt pattern matches up. See: http://www.crawlpedia.com/wheel_dimensions.htm

Here are some options as far as lifts: http://www.roughcountry.com/suspension- ... le_year=68

That's just from Rough Country. I've had nothing but good experiences with their stuff, but you can go with anybody. Most competent mechanics can do any this, but you might want to try and find someone that specializes in Jeeps or at least trucks or off-road for the more complex stuff.

As for the tires, I hear they are decent. Like any all-terrain tire, I wouldn't use them for rock crawling in Arizona or Colorado, but they should handle some mild trails and be great on the road.
Thanks for the info Rabbit. Are there any differences in the lifts? I see that some are just spacers and others come with shocks, etc. Would there be anything good/ bad or otherwise in getting a 2 inch kit that is just the spacers without changing anything else? They seem to be cheaper than getting all the springs and everything.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk Pro
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

Check out Elias 4wd Center in Townsend, MA. Come visit, we'll walk you through the best options for your Jeep.
There's huge differences in lift quality, tire quality, wheel quality.
Rabbit

Unread post by Rabbit »

Indeed, if you can go in and talk to them, they will give you all the info you need. Everyone has their opinions, and I am a newbie to this area, so I'm not the best to give build advice. I can tell you that you don't have to do much to a JK to make it an off-road monster. I used to wheel in AZ with a JK Rubicon with a small lift and some 35" tires and there was no stopping it.
Harringt0n

Townsend isn't exactly right down the road from me, otherwise I would stop by no doubt. Right now I'm thinking about replacing the stock 18" rims with Cragar Soft 8 16" and 33" Mastercraft Courser AXT. And adding the Teraflex 2.5 coil kit

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Harringt0n

I think that will give me the look I'm after without breaking the bank.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro
Rabbit

Unread post by Rabbit »

My brother uses Teraflex and has always seemed to like it. I absolutely agree with going to 16" rims, though I have no insight into brand. I still run my stock 15" rims and dread going even to 16s. :-D As for the tires, I've heard that is a decent tire for some soft off-road and is good on the road and with snow and ice.
Harringt0n

That's exactly what I want from a tire. Good on snow and ice firstly. Decent on and off road as well. My jeep isnt used daily, only weekends but I won't be doing any rock crawling with it either. I have stock 18" rims on it now which are just too big. I want more rubber and less metal. =)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk Pro
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by del_TJ »

I have a set of used, street friendly 32" tires I'm looking to sell. These tires are a hybrid AT / MT tire that do great on icy, snowy, wet or dry roads and great on the trail when it's dry, but start to slip when trails are gooey and wet, which is to be expected for that kind of tire… I got lots of trail experience with them but recently moved on to 34" super swamper SSRs that do surprisingly well on wintry roads which means I can unload my 32s :dance: The size is similar to many 33s, maybe slightly smaller...

Procomp Xtreme All Terrain 265/75 R16. Plenty of tread left and it would cheaper option for you if you're interested.

Tony
281.jpg
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I would make sure that the rim size you want is going to clear you disk brake calipers and rotors. They must have the proper back spacing also to clear suspension components and brake parts. A smaller rim with larger tires usually helps in the trail dept. as you air down the taller side wall of the tire can flex more than a narrow side wall. Most of this info is online by the mfgs. your looking at. Other sorces are other JK owners. We have them in the club so check out the tech section and post there. Welcome FjR68
Noroad
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by Noroad »

When it comes down to the jk you can fit pretty big tires right off the bat with 33s, you can even get 35s on there with a fender trim. A spacer lift will also do the same for getting you in the 315 or 35 class. when it comes to lifts if you want a small one with a good ride i would say coil lift is you way to go. they can be done in a spot with just basic hand tools, 2.5 i believe is the max you can go without having to change your drive shafts. I would stay away from rough coutry as they are known to be cheap and there coils sage quickly, and also teraflex as they are known to have a stiff ride. I have rubicon express they are pretty good, but i would look into Evo's coils if you want the smoothest ride out there. other then that i have seen good things about BDS, RK, and AEV. when it comes to rims you will probable be best off with a 16 or 17inch wheel as most 15s will not work on a jk due to rubbing on the calipers. That being said smaller wheel also more times then not comes with a cheaper tire prices not a ton but enough to consider.
Rabbit

Unread post by Rabbit »

I've heard that about Rough Country too, but I think it was resolved. I've had their 4" lift for almost 4 years without any problems, even with their cheap shocks. For what it costs, I'll just replace the springs if they ever sag. :-P
Harringt0n

I went with the 16" soft 8s and got 285/75/16. Looks and rides great. No problems. I also bought a 2.5" bb and will put that on in a few weeks.

Harringt0n

The center caps are missing from the picture because they didn't ship with the wheels but they're going on as I type this.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1391796597540.jpg