Help picking onboard air system

You can talk about anything here
KevinP
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Help picking onboard air system

Unread post by KevinP »

I'm looking for an on board air system and I'm not really sure what to look for. The duty cycle and cfm I really don't understand that well so I'm not sure what to get. I mainly want be able to air up my tires in a fairly short period of time and I dont want to have to stop and let it cool down between tires. Would be nice to be able to use air tools but not a major concern really. I am looking at the Viair model 10007 or 10005 and the ARB CKMA12 so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I got a price of $363 for 10007 , $329 for the 10005, and $259 for the ARB CKMA12. wondering if its worth it or is there something better for about the same money. I put a links below.

http://viaircorp.com/oba-constant.html#tabs-3

http://viaircorp.com/oba-heavy.html#tabs-3

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winc ... o-top-link

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/airCo ... hSpecs.pdf
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Help picking onboard air system

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

For a portable air compressor to refill your tires, it is hard to beat the Q Industries MN-90 at about $150-$175. My LTB 34x10.50-15LT tires took about 90 seconds to two minutes from zero pressure to 32 psi, repeatedly.
The built in gage is never correct and the wiring to the battery always fails at the clamps, but the wiring can be repaired before you ever leave the house.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have a MaxAir 4.0 with a 2.5 gal. tank. It will fill the first tire rather quickly without the compressor running. The other three tires take 2 to 3 mins apiece. The small air intake filter must be cleaned regularly. With the tank , tools are not an issue to run. Most trail repairs seam to be done with hand tools . BMFH and chain is what Im told you need. FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by Kurt »

Did you consider a Sanden or York system using an A/C compressor?
I run Sanden setups in both my rigs. Works just awesome. Runs rings around any electric compressor setup.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

I completely agree with Kurt. I tried to make a powerful electric system using 3 compressors totaling 90 amps of current draw. The Sanden which I have now outperforms that old electric system even at idle. If you only want to fill tires and don't mind waiting electric is fine, but engine driven blows electric away, pun intended. I can fill a 35" tire from single digit psi to mid 20s in under a minute.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
mrfreakinwhite

Kurt wrote:Did you consider a Sanden or York system using an A/C compressor?
I run Sanden setups in both my rigs. Works just awesome. Runs rings around any electric compressor setup.
:like:
KevinP

Unread post by KevinP »

I did look into the a/c compressor set up briefly but it seems to complicated to me and not exactly sure what the final price would be but i hear it will cost in the $450 range. It seems much easier to just hook up some wires and mount it. The Superflow MV90 is $199 but the Smittybuilt is the exact same thing for $149 and has 5.65 CFM. I think I will stick to 12v system for now anyway.
del_TJ
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by del_TJ »

Check out the Q industries MV89 dual piston compressor. As mentioned, the cable clips are cheap and break easily. I bought it for $100 a few years back, it's still running and fills a tire in a couple of minutes. It's not oil lubricated so a bit loud and once the internal parts wear it's toast. Anyway, I wired a relay off the battery so that I can mount it somewhere and I'm just going to run it till it dies or until I feel that I need a tank of compressed air on the trail for tools, reseating tire beads, etc.

http://www.allthingsjeep.com/q-industri ... OgodxCAA9A
KevinP

Unread post by KevinP »

I think Q Industries makes compressors for Smittybuilt also.
mrfreakinwhite

Prices may vary on the MV90, but I worked at All Things Jeep and brought the product line in store, and I am doing the same at Elias 4wd Center. The Smittybilt is like a walmart/home depot private label version - built to sell at a certain price point, not built to last.

My experience with the dual piston model is that the built in heat circuit breaker only complicates already weak electronics circuit and it is best to remove it entirely. It's also just not as fast when I compared them back to back on my own tires. It took about a minute longer to air up the same 34x10.50-15LT LTB tire and could not reseat the bead.

In the end, real engine driven on board air is the best solution, but AC is more important to me. :D An air tank hard mounted to help a 12V is extremely helpful and a huge bonus.
Rabbit
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by Rabbit »

On board is definitely best, but I never had a problem with my 12v compressor. I can't remember which one I got, but I think it may be the little MV50. Either way it's always filled my 33s fairly quickly. Tires are usually filled before the minor repairs from wear and tear are finished at the end of the trail.

Mr. White, where does one find said 34X10.50 tires? I was thinking of going to the 35x10.50 Boggers next, but 34" might be a possibility.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

The 34x10.5s are probably Swamper - LTBs . Its a big ugly grip anything move earth kid of tire. Totally awesome .They were suppose to make a 35 but I never see them advertised. FjR68
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

Frank wrote:The 34x10.5s are probably Swamper - LTBs . Its a big ugly grip anything move earth kid of tire. Totally awesome .They were suppose to make a 35 but I never see them advertised. FjR68
I started with the 34s and they were great. I now have the 35s and they are amazing!! They use the "larger LTB" lug pattern. Can't get them anywhere any more though. They always push back when they are going to manufacture more.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
mrfreakinwhite

I will PM you, Rabbit.
84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by 84cj »

My 2 cents:

I have owned both the Q Industries mentioned above (never got the results claimed) and (my current set-up) a Sanden compressor which I found on-line in Oregon for $100, $140 shipped. Similar to the posts before, the engine driven one is far superior. In the long run, you'll need two or three 12 volt compressors and mine will still be filling tire, running air tools and fixing beads and I'll have spent less doing so.

My advice - spend a bit more now and do it right. I can almost guarantee it that you will do it eventually. Find a schematic, buy the parts and then suggest a wrench fest! I'm sure you get someone to help you put it together.