towing my tj

ToplessTJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

towing my tj

Unread post by ToplessTJ »

We're headed up to Portsmouth to tow my TJ back using a two wheel dolly. It was recommende to disengage the drive shaft. ?!? I don't have my book...... is this something easy to be done? Otherwise gonna leave it in N and take the back roads to Medfah. Any feedback is helpful. ? Thanks
HavinFun [O|||||||O]
ToplessTJ

Re: towing my tj

Being towed bcuz power steering pulley is totally disconnected and lost power. Good thing is I made to gas station off the highway lastnight in Portsmouth on my way home from Portland ME. Going vack up now to bring her back home. I dobt have option to upload photo.
HavinFun [O|||||||O]
ToplessTJ

Being towed bcuz power steering pulley is totally disconnected and lost power. Good thing is I made to gas station off the highway lastnight in Portsmouth on my way home from Portland ME. Going vack up now to bring her back home.
HavinFun [O|||||||O]
KevinP
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by KevinP »

I would think that disconnecting the drive shaft would be easier on your transfer case and transmission but I dont think its mandatory.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

If you have a stick and put it and the T-case in neutral ,then the only thing spinning would be the drive shaft. If its an auto , I would disconnect the drive shaft at the diff not to be turning all the internal parts of the T-case and Trans. Im assuming the Dolley is in the front. Oiling of the internals is the issue without the imput shaft pumping oil. FjR68
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Np231 oil pump is in the tail housing on the output shaft.

I've heard the same, but I doubt it will be an issue if you just put thr t-case in neutral.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Owners manual for my YJ said with driveshaft connected, standard transmission in gear, transfer case in neutral. Auto is transmission in park, transfer case in neutral. It's basically the same transfer case in your TJ, so the rule would be the same. You need to do it this way so that the pump in the rear of the transfer case will pump fluid though, keeping everything lubed while you're towing

If you disconnect the driveshaft, do it at the axle and just wire or tie it up to the undercarriage away from everything. Mark the u-joint and pinion yoke so that you can put it back together the same way it came out.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein