There goes the neighborhood!

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
skibum
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2007
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: There goes the neighborhood!

Unread post by skibum »

ArticRubi wrote:Nice rig. Baddest JK here. I'd consider some different sliders. The factory ones will bend and crunch the body. True. Add some rails to them and you increase the leverage on them and will crunch easier.

Boat sides.
Haven't bent them yet and lord knows I've tried. lol. I helped a buddy put a set of Poly(?) boatside sliders on his and 1) I'll never have anything with nutserts on my Jeep.....ever. 2) First time he hit something hard it creased the rocker all the way down. :? So, when I install the tubes I'm also going to double the thickness of the tub mounts.
"To enjoy life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks." - Robert A. Heinlein
ArticRubi
Jeep Year: 2008

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Nothing wrong with nutserts or well nuts. I'd guess if you fukked some stuff up with boat sides they're either a poor design or you put them on wrong. Were they installed above or below the body bushing? Really doesn't get any strong than that unless you want a t00b chassis.
skibum

Unread post by skibum »

DOUG wrote:I'm out...

Leave the website up and look who strolls in....

Welcome Mr. Waterman. Glad to have you here.
Thanks Doug! Nice to see you too. lol. :lol:
skibum

Unread post by skibum »

ArticRubi wrote:Nothing wrong with nutserts or well nuts. I'd guess if you fukked some stuff up with boat sides they're either a poor design or you put them on wrong. Were they installed above or below the body bushing? Really doesn't get any strong than that unless you want a t00b chassis.
They're just a ***** to install......plus I have no real interest in drilling that many holes in the tub. The sliders we installed obviously attached to the tub (with about 500 fasteners) and to the frame. Seemed odd to me at the time as there is flex between the two but that's what the instructions said, and the manufacturer confirmed, so that's what we did. Less than successful IMHO. I'm going to mod what I have using an entirely different performance standard than that employed by Jeep. If what I end up with doesn't work, we will revisit the issue. but like I said, I haven't bent them yet (knock wood).
:)

These are the sliders we installed.....http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Syn ... -3165.html
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

I used these:

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/pr ... 249&page=1

Been very happy with them so far. They bolt under the body mounts, also to the pinch seam. The feel very solid.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
skibum

Unread post by skibum »

ArticRubi wrote:Nice rig. Baddest JK here.
Seriously? I just got done reading your build thread and I'm thinking mine isn't even close. :doh: When is that beast going to be done?