The Great Debate (ie, are you 'tired' of this yet)

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Gather round boys and girls, it's time for that age old question...... what's the best tire for me?

:lol:

Kidding. It goes against everything I know, but I'm looking at springing for a set of NEW sneakers. Not just new to me, but brandy new. I've narrowed my search down to a 33" flavor of: Goodyear MT/R (with Kevlar), Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, or BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A

These aren't going on a 'daily driver', but they'll be seeing highway use getting me to and from trails. Not looking for a limo smooth ride (like my AT's give me) but not looking for a Supah Swampah riding-over-a-rumble-strip kind of ride, either. Hoping to find a tire that can be driven on the highway but won't suck on trails. Like my AT's

So what do you think? What's my best option?
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: The Great Debate (ie, are you 'tired' of this yet)

Unread post by Kurt »

I've run both the MT/R and the BFG Muds.
The BFG's were OK off road. On the road they were sketchy on wet pavement. They don't have siping, just blocky flat lugs. I took a couple of unplanned slides on the road with them. :-o
I've been pleased with the on and off road performance of the MT/R's. :)
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Well I've made it no secret I'm no fan of MT/R's. They do everything ok but nothing well. Add Interco SSR's to your list. LTB's are great on the trail but you'll give up some on the street. Honestly if you're not DD'ing it I wouldn't sweat the street performance outside of stickies.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Look at D.C. MTs also. Got good right ups. M T Zs have had sidewall issues , Ive heard. FjR68
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

Carl, I think you've missed the best tire on the market to suit your needs. I might be 'biased,' but not bias plied.

I have a ton of experience as a pro tire retail seller and tire technician, and also a ton of off road experience. I've had the pleasure and displeasure of trying out a lot of tires, watching how they perform on and off road. I do a lot of tires at Elias 4wd Center.

All that combined, I just bought Toyo MTs.
Here's why:
They require less weight per wheel to balance, a testament to the manufacturing quality.
They last a long time and wear evenly.
They are QUIET. I got to compare Jeff's 235/75R15 inspection tires, back to back, with my new Toyos on the road and could not hear any difference. They are quieter than the snowflake rated high performance tires on my wife's ZJ.
They are super smooth on the highway. There's just no draw backs on the road.

Off road - I have been wheeling LTBs for four years. I got totally sick of watching people with Toyo MTs do everything I was doing, just as well.
These tires are extremely durable.
Traction is phenomenal.
Sometimes a little heat (a little spin) will warm the tires up like a drag car and then they hook, like magnets, to smooth slick surfaces.

MT/Rs wear funny with a lot of pavement driving. They require an unusual amount of tire rotations to wear evenly. They require A LOT of weight to balance and on the balancer they hop like a swamper. These are really impressive in the snow, off road.
BFGs, shimmy side to side on the balancer. These are pretty impressive in hot weather, where they can stick like glue if you don't tear the sidewall open on rocks and roots.

Prices are generally pretty similar, close enough to spend a little extra for a tire that you will be much happier with.
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

I love the toyos, great all around tire and in over 3 years I've had zero issues... Wish I could say that about other tires!
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Im considering a set of Toyos for my JKU....
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ArticRubi
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Toyo's would be great! If it were never muddy. Ryan, that's your biggest complaint with them, yes? Fawkers don't clear worth a damn. I ran the basically identical Nitto Trail Grappler in my JK and as long as it was dry they were awesome. Any hint of mud and the tread gets impacted and bye bye traction.

For those that own these tires, try not to get too butt hurt on my opinion of your purchase. Out west where it's dry they would be great. Too much mud around here...
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Great stuff guys. Toyo's are definitely in the mix and also re-evaluating Swampahs. Maybe Trxus MTs. This is primarily a 'moderate' trail rig and see's a lot of rocks but I'm not afraid of getting her muddy. I don't trailer so being able to travel on the highway without being bounced out of my settle is important. Never could get my LTB's to balance and that was a deal breaker but maybe it was my rims
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

TrXus's are a softish compound tire.
Helps on the rocks but treadlife is a bit shorter than normal.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

The can-O worms has tipped ova ! Whatcha gonna do now bigboy ? FjR68
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

If the Toyo MTs were not on national backorder last year when I purchased I'd be on them instead of the MT/R-Ks. However, I've had no issues with the MT/R-Ks so far.
Last edited by Modeler on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

I like the 34" Interco SSRs I bought in the spring. The good - they did well at Rausch, are surprisingly quiet for an aggressive tread and absorb bumps better than the set of pro comp AT 32s I still have. The bad - they humm a bit at highway speed but not too bad, dig in a little when turning, don't last as long as harder compound tires and don't have much siping for the wintah.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

Unread post by ASauer17 »

i have BFG A/T... they are decent offroad, good in snow and in dry smooth pavement. NOT so good on wet pavement and black ice :lol:
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

I have D.C. Crushers in the 35x12.5x15 flavor. I find myself wondering if I had my swampers would I have made that ? On the other hand , I can hear my radio and did I mention-- I have NO- 0 - balance weights on home made bead locks. I only go about 60 on the high way but no shimmy or shake. D.C. can build a round tire ! My opinion , under no contract with D.C. FjR68