Spray painting a bumper??

ChrisD
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Spray painting a bumper??

Unread post by ChrisD »

Last year I purchased a used warn rear bumper and need to clean it up before installing.

Which primer / paint should you use to touch up a bumper that will provide that stock black finish? Also what it the best way to remove the current original finish, not sure if it is powder coated or painted.
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Re: Spray painting a bumper??

Unread post by schwalby »

I use a basic primer and paint when doing my sliders, bumpers and tube fenders. I figure I am going to beat them up on the trail and have to repaint anyways so I go cheap.

Not sure on the best way to remove the old stuff. I would guess if it is just paint i would sand with a course paper first to get down to something the primer can stick to and then a low grit to get rid of all the scratches.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

schwalby wrote:I use a basic primer and paint when doing my sliders, bumpers and tube fenders. I figure I am going to beat them up on the trail and have to repaint anyways so I go cheap.

Not sure on the best way to remove the old stuff. I would guess if it is just paint i would sand with a course paper first to get down to something the primer can stick to and then a low grit to get rid of all the scratches.
X2
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

A wire wheel or flapper disc on a grinder works good for removing existing finishes.

Rustoleum paints hold up pretty well, but take longer to dry.
Krylon dries fast (laquer based) but doesn't hold up as well.

Brushing on the primer coat tends to last a little longer than sprayed on.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

2x what John C said... Best thing to do is sand (or some type of media) blasting, but a wire wheel or flap wheel is usually "good enough".

w.r.t. paint -- I've had really good luck with Rustoleum Automotive Primer and then their Industrial Enamel for a top coat, typically in a spray can (usually just more convenient than a brush, but I've done that too)... It is key to do good prep work to get the paint to stick and prevent rust from coming through later. You may want to consider using a rust reformer type paint (Rustoleum makes one of these) for a primer, as they can be a little more forgiving than regular automotive primer if you miss some of the rust. After sanding and before I paint I usually wipe everything down with Bra-Kleen or some kind of grease dissolving solvent and then blast it dry with an air gun to take off grease / oil and or and dust / grit which may be left by the sanding process.

I've found I get best results on days which are nice and dry and where I can leave the part(s) out in the sun to "bake". Leave the parts alone as long as possible to let the paint dry before installation too --at least a full day or two once you finish to really dry before you install it.

JW
84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by 84cj »

http://certifiablejeep.com/images/curti ... 0_0555.jpg

Painted my jeep with a rattle can of rust-oleum.

Curtis
Captian Carnage
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

I used Rattle can metal primer + paint easy way to touch it up also Just run emery cloth over it to take off any thing loose thats all I ever do to bumpers or rocker protection After it will get hit again Right ??
Opie
Jeep Year: 2001

Unread post by Opie »

I used Rust-Guard Hammered Effect spray paint. You can skip the primer if you want (I didn't), it goes right over rust, the color is just on the grey side of black, so it matches the faded color of everything else, and the hammered metal effect is very forgiving in the finish department. A once a year touch up is all I do, unless I scrape something really good.
“If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

- Groucho Marx