Rear locker not engaging?

jsav4589
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Rear locker not engaging?

Unread post by jsav4589 »

So the other day while inspecting some things, I was testing both lockers on Kermit in my driveway (in 4 low) moving back and forth slowly and the front locker engages after a second or 2 but the rear's light keeps blinking. I've turned it on only a few times while either on the trail or testing it when I first got it and it hasn't gotten any hard use since I purchased the vehicle, and all times have been under 5 mph.

I checked the hose and it seems fine and connected, and I can't get into the diff because I was already starting to strip out one of the allen screws on the Warn guards on the cover trying to remove it so I could try and inspect the diff, so at the moment that isn't possible until I explore my options on how to get that off to begin with.

Would anyone know what could be wrong? Anything come to mind? Could I have some more serious problems if I keep trying to engage it, especially while on the trail? Right now I'm not in a super huge rush to fix it, other than that the diff itself seems to be working just fine, but any clues would help.

Also, in the mean time, anyone have some tips on getting the allen screws out of the diff guards? They're all pretty seized up and PB blaster doesn't seem to be doing anything.

:confusion-helpsos:
2004 TJ rubicon
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Rear locker not engaging?

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I have heard of the internal hose coming off inside the diff. Also you could have a bad pump. I think the pump is located near the skid plate, you should be able to hear it turn on when the locker engages, its only 6psi or so. You could try swapping the hose to the second pump for the front...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

Engage the switch and crawl underneath, if you hear the pump cycling or constantly running the system is not holding pressure. This has happened to me out on the trail before. What I found was that Dana did not have hose clamps of any kind on the inside of the pumpkin. They must have figured that 5 psi was not enough to come off the hose barbs, it is. I added small hose clamps to both ends of the flex hose inside.

If the system is holding pressure and the pump is not cycling, try turning the steering wheel slightly when backing or rolling forward in the driveway. The locker may just be just far enough off to keep the unit from engaging. Turning the steering wheel will cause one tire to have to go farther than the other and will help the unit line up. I've had to do that out on the trail as well.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
mrfreakinwhite
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by mrfreakinwhite »

The largest Torx head 3/8" drive socket you can fit in the partially stripped out hole will really dig into the corners of the allen hardware. If you don't need a SMALL hammer to drive the torx head socket in, it isn't big enough to do the job. It should be an interference fit.
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

The locker pumps have been relocated on Kermit, no longer mounted to the skid plate. They are mounted in the engine compartment under the brake master cylinder.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Hoodoo Man

DOUG wrote:The locker pumps have been relocated on Kermit, no longer mounted to the skid plate. They are mounted in the engine compartment under the brake master cylinder.

Very good idea! thats where my pump is on my TJ... 8-)
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

DOUG wrote:The locker pumps have been relocated on Kermit, no longer mounted to the skid plate. They are mounted in the engine compartment under the brake master cylinder.
OK, got me on that one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
jsav4589
Jeep Year: 2004

Unread post by jsav4589 »

Yeah I knew about the relocation. I tried the turning while moving back and fourth and nothing. Ill try the torx trick and get that diff cover off and see what I can do. Thanks guys.
2004 TJ rubicon
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

Contact the previous owner and *****... Tell them they sold you a lemon and you want your money back ;p
Hoodoo Man

Little Napoleon wrote:Contact the previous owner and *****... Tell them they sold you a lemon and you want your money back ;p
:lol:
1970 Jeepster- stock