Nooooob.....e-brake adjustment?

ChrisH
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Nooooob.....e-brake adjustment?

Unread post by ChrisH »

Alright, what's the trick? My 03 rubi e-brake feels like it's at the limit of upper travel when I set it, so I checked the shop manual and it indicates there that it should not ever need adjustment unless the cables are replaced or brake work has been done.

Forgive my idiocy...I know not what I do...
Si vis pacem, para bellum...

Row faster, I hear banjo music...
mightymeglet
Jeep Model: XK Commander

Re: Nooooob.....e-brake adjustment?

Unread post by mightymeglet »

Back up and tap on the brake a few times(3 or 4), it should tighten up inside the drum. Test the e-brake. The e-brake is connected with the rear brake, if it's an 03 it's got drums. If that does not work you may need to change your pads and maybe drums, and that I can't type out to ya.
Account no longer in use.
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Do you have rear drum or rear disc brakes? The shop manual is kinda full of it! Brake shoes wear down and cables stretch over time.
With the e-brake off, jack up the rear end and spin the tires by hand. The e-brakes should just slightly drag. If they're not, the first step is to try adjusting them out some. There's a rectangular rubber plug on the back of the brake backing plate a few inches below the axle tube. Behind that is a star wheel that you turn with a flat blade screwdriver (they also make little lever tools for this). On the driver's side, turn the star wheel from top to bottom to adjust the shoes out. On the passenger's side turn it from bottom to top. Adjust the shoes out to where they're just rubbing and then see how they hold.

If there's still excessive travel to set the brakes, the next step is to adjust the cables. Pull the e-brake handle up two notches from the released position, crawl under the Jeep and turn the nut in at the cable splitter (you'll probably have to give it few blasts with penetrating oil) until the brakes rub just a little more.

If neither adjustment works, you've probably got some worn out and/or rusted up parts (the cable pivot arm on disc brake systems are great for rusting up!).

Hope this helps!
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

'03 Rubi's have rear disk.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ChrisH
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ChrisH »

Lots of good data here. Thanks. Zaedock is right...I've got disk brakes FWIW.
Si vis pacem, para bellum...

Row faster, I hear banjo music...
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

ChrisH wrote:Alright, what's the trick? My 03 rubi e-brake feels like it's at the limit of upper travel when I set it, so I checked the shop manual and it indicates there that it should not ever need adjustment unless the cables are replaced or brake work has been done.

Forgive my idiocy...I know not what I do...
First thing --- If you haven't got a factory service manual for your Jeep yet you probably should think about it... The FSM has all the details on this sort of thing in there and will save you a lot of time waiting for answers.

There is a drum-style e-brake assembly under your brake discs (in the "hat" of the disc). The shoes could be worn out if they were dragging, or the mechanism collected some gunk. There is usually a shoe adjustment accessible from the back side of the brake backing plate / dust shield. You have to take off the disc to inspect the e-brake assembly, but you could just try adjusting it. Unlike regular drum brakes these shoes should NOT drag during normal driving -- they are only supposed to engage when you pull the e-brake handle.

Another option is to tighten the cables at the threaded adjuster / splitter as described earlier.

JW
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

The back up and brake method is how most drums including disc brake with drum e-brake are designed to self-adjust. Unfortunately in the New England climate the adjusters get corroded up pretty quickly and stop working. If you haven't see the inside of your e-drum brake I would suggest taking the rotor off, it will help you understand the adjustment process JohnXJ described. I usually put never seize on the adjuster moving parts.

If the e-brake shoes are worn out it you will probably be at the limits of the adjusters.

Good luck,
-Andy