wiring problem

Livin_The_Dream05TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

wiring problem

Unread post by Livin_The_Dream05TJ »

So last week i had a alternator go up in smoke. Sent the alternator back and they going to replace it for free. But the problem is that i put an alternator in the jeep that i knew still worked and the jeep is not charging. When to old alternator went could it have efficted the smart charging system. I looked up online and found the syaytem was controled by the pcm. It is an 05 wrangler. Recent add on was a new electric fan. Looked over the wiring for the fan and the wiring looks the be wired right.
Livin_The_Dream05TJ

Re: wiring problem

OK so after tracing the wires i found that a wire had burnt though. Spliced the wire together and jeep is now charging. But now it is over charging. What would be cause the jeep to over charge now? Would the regulater in the pcm still be the cuase problem that made the last alternator go?
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

When you say it's overcharging, what are you basing that on? DVM across your terminals, while it's running? I'm no authority on 2005 charging circuits but on my 2K, I typically see 14VDC, +/- .5V, with my Heep running (using a DVM). When it's shut off, my Optima drops back to the 12V range. My understanding is if the battery is weak or discharged, the charge will increase to compensate for that
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

If you have a burned wire something upstream from the wire may have been damaged. Do you know what wire burned?

JW
Livin_The_Dream05TJ

the alternator mire burnt right befor it went into the fuse box. Lte the jeep run for a while last night and it started charging fine when i think the battery become full charged. Turned all my lights on and blower motor on and alternator still was charging at 13.9. Going to let the jeep warm up tomorrow and see what happens when the engine fan turns on (electic fan just installed). So for right know i think i found the problem. But will soon find out.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Automotive charging systems typically operate between 13-15 VDC.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005