You can talk about anything here
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

JK to get Diesel option?

Unread post by DOUG »

http://www.egmcartech.com/2013/02/14/re ... sel-in-us/

Disclaimer...article states "first time a Grand Cherokee is offered with a Diesel" The WK had a diesel option in 2007-08. Somebody messed up.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: JK to get Diesel option?

Unread post by ArticRubi »

That would be awesome....its gotten to the point where I see one of these articles every week. It would be awesome, and with the WK getting one next year it is certainly one step closer. It would also solve the fuel economy issues the Wranglers have.

Here'e the issue I see....they're really going to have to either detune that engine or set some beefier axles under there. I know Dana 60 is the obvious answer but Chrysler does a lot with Corporate now, I have a Corp 265 in my Ram. 340 ft lbs of torque would put a Mr T style hurtin' on a D44!
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I think the WK had the diesel in '06 too. I've been active on other forums to track WK CRD stuff and plenty of people with the '06 seem to have it.

Unfortunately in the WK platform Jeep only offered 1 R&P ratio for all models which killed the fuel economy of the diesel... They could have got 28+ mpg, but they only offered 3.73 gears so the RPM @ 65 mph is ~2500.... We never get much more than 20-21 MPG on our WK w/ the CRD, which sees mostly city type driving.

Before you get too excited about it you really need to know which diesel they're using.... I'm not convinced the Mercedes CRD in the WK is a great design - they made some really dumb design choices. When the Mercedes CRD works it is great, but when it has problems it is big $ and lots of time to fix stupid stuff, as I have had multiple opportunities to find out. I'm assuming they'd use a Motori or Fiat diesel now and I've heard the Liberty diesels (was a Motori) had lots of problems.

I've got ~53k on our WK at this point and the extended 70k/7 yr warranty is up in '14. After the warranty is up I'm seriously considering getting something else. I've got a fair amount of $ into fixing stuff that should be covered by Chrysler, but isn't and I'm not happy about it.

JW
ArticRubi

Yeah they've dumped the CRD for the '14 WK's in lieu of the Fiat 3.0 V6 turbo diesel, I can say IDK much about it though other than the published HP and torque numbers
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Chrysler used the CRD when they were in bed with Mercedes Benz and stopped offering the CRD as soon as they separated from Mercedes in '09(ish). There were other vehicles Chrysler offered that had the CRD in it... I seem to recall reading a version of the Chrysler 300 had a CRD as an option and the Dodge version of the Mercedes Sprinter cargo/utility van had it as well.

Now that they're in bed with Fiat it isn't surprising they're using a Fiat engine.

JW
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

A small number of Liberty(s) had the CRD as well IIRC.
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Modeler wrote:A small number of Liberty(s) had the CRD as well IIRC.
Liberty didn't use a Mercedes CRD... The Liberty had a Motori diesel, which is a completely different engine from the WK CRD and the other Dodge vehicles. I don't know if Fiat = Motori, but they're both Italian.... :)

JW
Modeler
BSJ Member

Unread post by Modeler »

Thanks, didn't know that.
DOUG
BSJ Member

Unread post by DOUG »

nostaw wrote: I don't know if Fiat = Motori, but they're both Italian.... :)

JW
And they're both CRDs. 8-)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Modeler
BSJ Member

Unread post by Modeler »

That explains why I remember seeing a CRD logo on the back of the Libby at work that had one then.
DOUG
BSJ Member

Unread post by DOUG »

Modeler wrote:That explains why I remember seeing a CRD logo on the back of the Libby at work that had one then.

Yep, CRD...Common Rail Diesel.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
ArticRubi

First credible article I've seen, quoting Jeep's CEO

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013 ... -2015.html

My money has them ruining it with IFS :lol:
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

ArticRubi wrote:First credible article I've seen, quoting Jeep's CEO

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013 ... -2015.html

My money has them ruining it with IFS :lol:

IFS is a given... I'd be surprised if it wasn't independent rear too.

JW