YJ on Tons Build Saga

ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: YJ on Tons Build Saga

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Looks like she's getting there Kurt. Nice job with the mock up tOObs! If you don't mind me asking, what club are you going to run her in?

ArticRubi wrote:Brain fart on my part...I've never even seen or heard of a leaf sprung linked suspension :lol:

I was thinking of running rear leaves w/ 4link in my buggy. It's called 1/4 elliptical.

As far as tires go, I plan to stick (<-no pun) with Mickey Thompson.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

ArticRubi wrote:Oh yeah, I was wondering, have you decided on rubber yet?
I was disappointed to see Maxis doesn't offer anything over 40". My goal was 42" to keep some ground clearance under the 60's.
They are pigs!
Have not decided yet on tires. Contemplating a set of 42" sticky SX's. Looks like they are the nuts in the rocks.
ZAEDOCK wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what club are you going to run her in?
I'll end up being a multi-clubber like many others in Baystate.
Will still run my white TJ on 35's at most BSJ runs.
As for running the YJ I may end of joining you with your "crotchity old bastids" (if you'll have me :pray: )
Currently I'm also in DWE as a club to run the YJ with too.
Will still plan to use the YJ at "un-official" BSJ trips like RC.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Kurt wrote: I was disappointed to see Maxis doesn't offer anything over 40". My goal was 42" to keep some ground clearance under the 60's.
They are pigs!
Have not decided yet on tires. Contemplating a set of 42" sticky SX's. Looks like they are the nuts in the rocks.
Well to put it in perspective...Maxxis 40" sticky Treps measure in at almost 41" and sticky SX's are a bit under 42". That's about half an inch less axle clearance and a lot less traction. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in getting pricing. My source on them has sworn me to secrecy since they're really not supposed to be selling them to the public but I could possibly talk him in to selling another set.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

ArticRubi wrote:Well to put it in perspective...Maxxis 40" sticky Treps measure in at almost 41" and sticky SX's are a bit under 42". That's about half an inch less axle clearance and a lot less traction.
I wouldn't say "a LOT less". I have personally seen SX stickies in action and they work well.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Kurt wrote:As for running the YJ I may end of joining you with your "crotchity old bastids" (if you'll have me :pray: )

Plenty of room and you definitely qualify.
NE4W is similar to Baystate, except we're a bit more, er..raw :obscene-birdiedoublegreen:
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

loving the PCV CA's! :dance:

Awesome thread Kurt and my offer is still on the table - when you need an extra set of hands, let me know. Between work and holiday plans some weekends are tough but if I can help, I will
Then, when you're done, I can say "I helped" :wtf:
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Carl : I could be wrong , but I think its PVC ! Duh . Boastoners . I also thought, what a great idea , Vs. wasting tube. I think we all have an engineer gene that we've never developed. FjR68
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Frank wrote:Carl : I could be wrong , but I think its PVC ! Duh . Boastoners . FjR68
PVC........ PCV............ either way, wicked pissah idear :dance:
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
mika401
Jeep Year: 1948
Jeep Model: CJ2A

Unread post by mika401 »

Hi Kurt nice to see progress!
On the shock front ORI's are definitely nice but for a trail rig that does not compete or race I wouldn't discount Air Shocks. That being said I would go for 2.5 instead of the 2.0. You can get a pair of 2.5 Fox air shocks for about $750 shipped to your door versus 600 for one ORI.
1948 CJ2A Buick V6 SM420 D18 4.27
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

mika401 wrote:Hi Kurt nice to see progress!
On the shock front ORI's are definitely nice but for a trail rig that does not compete or race I wouldn't discount Air Shocks. That being said I would go for 2.5 instead of the 2.0. You can get a pair of 2.5 Fox air shocks for about $750 shipped to your door versus 600 for one ORI.
M-
Good to hear from you again :)
Thank you for the info on the 2.5 Fox air shocks.
I have seen that a number of rigs are sporting them here in the northeast.
Will look into them as my rig will certainly not be a competition or race rig. :lol:
BSJ Treasurer 2020
mika401

Unread post by mika401 »

FYI Profender is having a 20% off everything including their 2.5" air shocks.

http://www.profender4x4.com/products/airshock.php

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suspensi ... thing.html
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

Part - 3

OK Web-wrenchers here is the Holiday installment of the YJ on tons project. ;)
I squirreled away some vacation time to enjoy during the holidays and have done a fair amount of work in the garage wrenching, cutting, welding and assembling some more parts of the winter project. :)

Was finally satisifed with how the PVC 4 link setup was working so it was time to "commit" and burn the brackets and tubes. Rear truss burned in...

Frame brackets for the front springs and rear 4 link

The old stock tranny skid was beat to snot so a beefy 1/4" steel replacement was rounded up from Barnes 4WD.
Had to customize it and add the tranny mount to the middle of it.

Installed.. :)

Installed the welded and painted rear 4 link arms to the 60.

Fired up Sparky the plasma cutter and comp cut the tub and rear mounting member.

Late in the year I was lucky enough to win the Warn Winch that DWE was raffling off in their fundraiser.
So... I found I could tuck it neatly into the new rear bumper/body support assembly that I needed after the comp cut.
New rear bumpa I fab'd up with the winch. Clevis tabs from AtoZ Fab. Steel for bumper assembly scrounged from MJS Metals recycling yard in Townsend.

Just happened to be peeking under the tub and found this :-o
Front body mount by the drivers footwell almost completely ripped out!

So.. after welding that little mess up I had to fab some frome tie-ins for the cage to prevent that from happening again. They'll tie the foot of the cage in the footwell to the frame. :dance:

Since I comp cut the rear of the tub for the wheelbase stretch I had to provide some serious support for the rear of the cage. Googled around and found the solution. A little digging thru the steel pile and leftover DOM and created these.

The 60's and planned tires would have overwhelmed the stock steering system so a hefty PSC hydro assist was added to the steering system with 1/4" DOM tie rod, drag link, heims and some beefy steering arms from Parts Mike via East Coast Gear Supply.
Tie rod is behind the axle for more room for the PS box and tie rod. Also positions the hydraulic cylinder up and slightly behind the center of the pumpkin for protection.

Power steering cooler installed between the grill and radiator. Courtesy of Doug's garage sale at the Fall Crawl. :dance:

I opt'd to not go with the usual ElDorado rear brake calipers so I needed a method of creating a parking brake system.
The method of choice was to put manual line locks on both the front and rear brake system. This will provide 4 wheel parking brake AND a means to isolate either the front or rear brake systems should a line get severed on the trail.
Routed the brake lines from the prop valve to the manual valves and then back to the respective brake systems.
Here is the booty fab panel with the valves. Installed in in place of the useless rear defroster and rear wiper switch panel in the dash.

The 4 In/Out lines waiting to get tied into the prop valve and the brake system. To be done once the body is put back on for the last time. Won't happen until the rear air shock suspension system and towers are welded to the frame.

Replaced all the brake lines with new braided stainless flex lines and CU-NI hard lines.

How the ol' girl looks as of tonight...
BSJ Treasurer 2020
mika401

Unread post by mika401 »

:like:
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

X2

Looks great Kurt
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

My god Kurt ! Thats gonna be an animal ! Great ideas , nicely fabed . Everything looks great . Cant wait to see her up and runnin. FjR68