94 XJ 4lo wont engage

connorc88
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1994
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

94 XJ 4lo wont engage

Unread post by connorc88 »

I went out wheeling with some kids from umass motorsport this weekend but didnt get very far since my 4lo wouldnt engage. Anyone know where its located in the undercarraige? I was told to go in and grease it up with pb blaster and try to get it unstuck since it probably hasnt been used very much. Still need to get some 30'' tires so i can get out with you guys some time soon.

Thanks

Connor
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: 94 XJ 4lo wont engage

Unread post by ASauer17 »

Try checking under your driver seat (obv laying on the ground looking up...)
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
johnsxj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Yep, basically what Amanda said.
Does the t-case shifter handle move easily, or is it really tight?
Look under the Jeep on the driver's side front seat area kind of above the front driveshaft.
Hose it down good with PB and try to see what condition all the pivot points on the linkages are in.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

When I got my '98 XJ trying to engage 4WDLO was a PITA... Everything was bound up because it wasn't used. Once I used it a few times the linkages worked out the gunk and it was fine. The linkages are pretty basic, so you shouldn't have to look too hard.

The mechanism is pretty easy to access... You're looking for a metal rod between the transmission and the "frame rail" of the unit body on the drivers side, roughly under the driver's seat. The rod connects to a lever arm in front (that goes to the handle in the center console) and a pivot point/shaft with a connection to a small lever on the t-case. The rod allows for adjustment in the linkage via a small screw that clamps the rod to the pivot point mechanism... Don't loosen that screw without marking the linkage - if you do you have to reset the adjustment of the lever arm. Not hard to do, but I have to refer back to my service manual to recall how to do it. I know you put the t-case in one of 4 modes, then tighten the screw, but I don't remember if they tell you to use 4Hi or 4 Lo.

That reminds me... I need to install the shifter kit I got from Ryan!

JW