The joys of installing brake lines on a 2004 Chevy

johnsxj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

The joys of installing brake lines on a 2004 Chevy

Unread post by johnsxj »

I really want to know what kind of crack the engineers at GM were using when they thought out the braking system on the 2000-up Silverados

"Lets use crap steel for the hard lines so they rot out fast. And for the hell of it we'll run all the lines so they'll be a major PITA to get to :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "

Here's what I've had to go through on Dad's 2004 2500HD.....

That's one of two leaks that happened at the same time while Dad was driving (thank goodness we didn't have the trailer in tow :-o )

To replace the rear line in the factory location the bed has to be removed (Thanks again for the help Kurt and Carl 8-) )
Tight between the gas tank, frame, and bed... running over cross members and under other lines and wiring harness' is NOT how I'd choose to do it!!!!!!!!

The cab isn't raised much, but that little bit made all the difference removing and replacing the line to and from the ABS module which is mounted off the frame under the driver's seat area (they switched to LSD at that point I think :music-rockout: )

Tomorrow I'll take some pics of how the lines are run.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: The joys of installing brake lines on a 2004 Chevy

Unread post by Frank »

Im pretty sure I wooda just zip tied a new one to the frame rail and let the new owner worry about it. FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Jesus. Can only imagine if I still had my '03. I would have stopped up after work to give you guys a hand, by I coach Alex's soccer team.

My old F150's rear line rotted where it bolted to the flex hose (IIRC, Kurt's F250 did this too). The rest was still mint! They must have fubar'd the protective coating when they flared it. It blew on my way to a G2 snow run. I was coming down my snow covered street(with Jeep/trailer in tow) and did NOT stop at the red light (read: skidded right thru). Fortunately, it was a quick fix with cutting, reflaring, and bleeding.
I already started painting stuff under my new truck.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by Kurt »

ZAEDOCK wrote:... (IIRC, Kurt's F250 did this too)...
Yup - on the way back from Rausch back around 2008. Fortunately it blew while jockeying around in a gas station parking lot with the trailer and now while zipping down the highway. :-o
It did suk towing home from RC with only half my brakes. :pray:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Well, it's all back together now and stops again :banana-guitar:

Would've been done sooner but one of the ports on the ABS valve assembly stripped out late Friday afternoon :angry-cussingblack:

Here's those other shots I promised showing why it's easier to raise the cab.....

That's just behind the forward cab mount. Not much room plus they run a harness there to boot :doh:

Little further back from the cab mount where the lines all turn to go on the other side of the frame.

Shot from under the truck where all the lines cross the frame and head down to the ABS module. You can also see that the fuel lines in the same area have nowhere near the rot that the old brake lines did (anti ice chemicals used by highway departments causing the rust ****** :liar: :liar: )

And the ABS module itself.... mounted off the frame right over the torsion bar :music-tool:
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Keep in mind (I wish I could forget) that they don't design them to be maintained, the only thing they care about is getting what's necessary on the vehicle in a way that's efficient to assemble the first time. They don't care about maintenance.

I always thought that they shouldn't allow anybody to work on a design team unless they've worked 4 years in a busy dealer's service garage.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein