speedodmeter

kenken1020
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1987
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

speedodmeter

Unread post by kenken1020 »

Changing from 1987 poojunk trans and 207 transfer case to a 94 ax 15 and a 231 transfer case . The pilot bushing in the clutch kit fits the trans but not the crank. Help!!! The speedo on the 231 is electronic old one is mechanical how do i use the mechanical one
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: speedodmeter

Unread post by johnsxj »

You'll probably need to measure the O.D. of your old bushing and the I.D. of the new bushing then find a good "Mom and Pop" type parts store (NAPA, All-Pro, etc...) that's not afraid to have actual parts books on hand and do a little searching. If you find a bronze bushing that's a little bigger than the crank hole, you can use a piece of dowel and a bench grinder to turn it down some (let the bushing spin on the dowel as you hold it to the grinding wheel).

You should be able to take the speedo gear housing and gear from the 207 and put it in the 231. There's a bolt and retaining clamp that holds it into the tail housing of the t-case. Or you can try removing the sending unit off the gear housing and threading your speedo cable on (not sure if they use the same threads or not though)
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I've swapped speedo drive 231's into my '92. You need to do as John said and just swap the gear housing. Same goes for the pilot bearing. Worse case, a machine shop can turn it down no problem. Google may provide a conversion part number too.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

If you have time, I think Advanced Adapters would have the right one for you. You can try searching through their tech infor or talking to someone on Monday.

-Andy