New home for my JK!

You can talk about anything here
ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

New home for my JK!

Unread post by ArticRubi »

After a year of wrenching in my driveway and lugging tools in and out of the basement, it looks like I've found some garage space! It's a single bay with a man door and shop space, basically the size of small two car garage. It also includes the parking space in front for a trailer. It has it's own meter base so 220 is already in the building. Meeting with the landlord in the morning to iron out the details. Next step is to find myself a tow rig/daily driver.
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: New home for my JK!

Unread post by Kurt »

Nice! :handgestures-thumbupright:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Elwood Blues
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Elwood Blues »

SWEET!!!
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green
"I Hate Illinois Nazis..."
ArticRubi

New home for my JK!

Now I get to drive like Dennis and not worry about getting home :lol:
nhdcoye
BSJ Member

Unread post by nhdcoye »

Sweet. Is it local to the city?
Too bad we just parted with a great tow rig/ weekly driver. Kia Sorento :-)
mark2215
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by mark2215 »

I REALLY need to get some pants with the kind of pockets you have. You even bought your jeep its own house. Now that's love!
95xj
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by 95xj »

Hey...I do care about my xj. I still gotta pull it out of the woods, don't I? But your right...having a trailer to haul the broken "money bucket" is nice.
Good luck. Hey did you tell'em you don't have any inside pickets in your pants...Ha Ha! Your a funny guy Big D.
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

New home for my JK!

Unread post by ChrisD »

mark2215 wrote:I REALLY need to get some pants with the kind of pockets you have. You even bought your jeep its own house. Now that's love!
Where is the like button!
ArticRubi

Really disappointed. Got to see the inside of the unit and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Plenty of space to get around the rig on all sides and still have ample shop space next to it. Problem: the landlord isn't willing to have the electrical turned on. He says it's listed as not having electrical with his insurer. I offered to do the work to get it up to code at my cost and factor the higher premium into the lease, wouldn't take it. I offered to write a new policy on the building and cover the cost of it, still wouldn't take it. I offered to pay a year's lease in advance and he still said no. Wtf? Also it seems he was a bit concerned with the noise from power tools bothering the neighbors. The agent listing the garage is going to work on him some more later today, looks like this is a no go though. :angry-cussingblack:

A couple more pics of my pipe dreams....

ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

New home for my JK!

Unread post by ChrisD »

Why not buy a house or rent something with a garage?

BTW what do u do for work?
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

ArticRubi wrote:I offered to do the work to get it up to code at my cost and factor the higher premium into the lease, wouldn't take it. I offered to write a new policy on the building and cover the cost of it, still wouldn't take it. I offered to pay a year's lease in advance and he still said no. Wtf?

I don't understand why you would pay to upgrade AND a premium on top. That's like paying to lease a 'Benz and driving a Hyundai. That building isn't worth it.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ArticRubi

New home for my JK!

ZAEDOCK wrote: I don't understand why you would pay to upgrade AND a premium on top. That's like paying to lease a 'Benz and driving a Hyundai. That building isn't worth it.
The electrical that needs to be done would take a couple of hours to fix. It's basically just demo of some unsafe fixtures and adding a few outlets and lights I'd want in there. Reason I want this one so much is pretty simple: Location. I can walk there in 10 minutes, half that if I ride my bike. 99% of "garage" rentals in the area are tiny, barely large enough to fit a vehicle in and open the door, moreover none of the landlords want to allow any work whatsoever to be done, dead storage only. This place included the garage and the whole driveway. Haven't found anything closer than 30 minutes within a reasonable price. Its got solid doors and a good roof, most places dont. I'm not moving, I'm in a great spot.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Buy a quiet generator.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ArticRubi

Went and saw another unit today, this one is much better. 4 Bay garage, about 40x20

There are two bays fully open:

One bay is half walled in (front to back) and would make a good tool room, its one of the center bays:

The last end bay is completely walled in except for a man-door through to the rest of the garage:

It's a block building with 4 good secure doors. Right now it only has 120V fed from the house next door the landlord owns, but he's willing to install a meter base and load center for the building, I'd just have to wire in a few more 120 and 220 welding receptacles to suit my needs. I can park a trailer outside, if I get one short enough, I can even fit it inside (it's 18 feet from door to rear wall.)

So, the down sides. It doesn't have water, and it's a bit of a drive...down in Brockton. If I go during low traffic times, it'll take about 25 minutes to get there...high traffic...well, its I-93 and Rt. 24, enough said. I don't think the drive is going to be much of an issue as most of the time when I'm going down to work on things it'll be weekends, its also just another 15 minutes further down to my girlfriend's house in Bridgewater.

I've got one more to have a look at in Quincy, before I make a decision, this one looks pretty good though!
Elwood Blues
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by Elwood Blues »

i like that one
tell ya what D
build me a garage up here and i will let ya use it anytime for free.....
it could be cheap because its a farm building lol
i will even do a shitload of work on your rig if ya want lol
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green
"I Hate Illinois Nazis..."