Manual tranny fluid...

Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Manual tranny fluid...

Unread post by Baseshakers »

...so my '05 has the Benz 6-speed NSG370 manual tranny. I think it's time to drain and change, and i'm looking for alternative fluids. i've heard great things about redline MTL, but i don't believe it meets the MS-9224 requirement for the factory warranty. opinions? recommendations?
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Manual tranny fluid...

Unread post by johnsxj »

Royal Purple makes some that is supposed to be excellent. I used Penzoil when I did my tranny swap with good results so far.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
wesley4x4
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

penzoil is YUMM :)
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I'll be using Pennzoil Synchromess in my buggy's NV3550.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
wesley4x4

ok so my automotive teacher told me that even thow my jeep is at 98,000 miles and has had regular oil in it its whole life i can switch to synthetic with no issues...
is he right or just retarded?
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

wesley4x4 wrote:ok so my automotive teacher told me that even thow my jeep is at 98,000 miles and has had regular oil in it its whole life i can switch to synthetic with no issues...
is he right or just retarded?
Your auto teacher is correct. However, if your oil change schedule was neglectful, the increased level of detergency in some synthetics could possibly "wash away" buildup near seals and cause seeping. That hardly ever happens anymore though.

The question, is whether or not you need a synthetic. Synthetics have greater protection during temperature extremes and typically offer a higher TBN (active additive level) than regular (also called "dino")oil for extended drains. Some also offer a better HTHS (high temperature, high sheer), but the difference between todays dino and syn is closer than you might think. That said, Jeep engines are pretty stout and you will likely achieve the same life span regardless of oil type. If I had your Jeep, I would stick with regular oil and do 5-6 thousand mile change intervals. In my rigs, I typically run 5W30 in winter for cold pumpability and step up the viscosity to a 10W40 in summer in my XJ, which runs a little hotter than my YJ. I can go off on many tangents with some of these subjects, so I'll leave you with this.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
wesley4x4

im suprised your brain dussn't explode with all this information... :P thanks joe
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

There wasnt any mention of brain ! FjR68
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Somebody here has a brain?
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein