What would you do?

Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: What would you do?

Unread post by Baseshakers »

no, the wear is only a few thousandths on a few teeth, but that's how thick the hardness is.

he is still saying there is no warranty for anything that goes offroad, but "he'll take care of me." we'll see about that.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
ArticRubi
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

What would you do?

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Baseshakers wrote: he is still saying there is no warranty for anything that goes offroad, but "he'll take care of me." we'll see about that.
What a clown. Sorry this is what you have to deal with.
IronTortoise
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1994
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by IronTortoise »

I just got my Jeep back. My ring and pinion was smoked. One tooth on the pinion was chipped off pretty badly. Very similar to your situation Ryan. Also decided to replace the unit bearings at the same time as I was getting some significant movement out of them. I feel the most likely cause of issues in my case was the sideways suspension movement I was getting that had resulted in my front driveshaft making contact with my exhaust. I seem to have ended that problem so hopefully this does not happen again. Good luck Ryan
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

so it ended up at $500, which is basically half price for the job. considering parts were $350 i decided it was worth the $150 to have them do the labor this time. not really happy about having to spend any $, but at least it should be done now. my biggest concern is we still couldn't figure out the cause for that much pinion play. shims, bearings, pinion, etc all looked fine.

thanks to doug for the gift certificate and dennis for talking to mitchell. both helped immensely, and certainly made dan feel like he should take care of me.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Baseshakers wrote:so it ended up at $500, which is basically half price for the job. considering parts were $350 i decided it was worth the $150 to have them do the labor this time. not really happy about having to spend any $, but at least it should be done now. my biggest concern is we still couldn't figure out the cause for that much pinion play. shims, bearings, pinion, etc all looked fine.

thanks to doug for the gift certificate and dennis for talking to mitchell. both helped immensely, and certainly made dan feel like he should take care of me.
If taking care of you means he only charged $500 to fix something he setup and which failed during his warranty period I'd be PO'd about the "deal". He may be mostly eating the cost of the labor, but it (still) sounds like you are the one getting screwed.

Another story I can add to the list of reasons why I won't deal with Mitchell.

JW
Elwood Blues
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Elwood Blues »

when i had jeffs Tj here last time i changed his rear diff fluid, which was not even 3 weeks out of mitchell, it was opaque grey filled with metallic flakes!!!
to add insult to injury, the gear pattern blew ass, the preload didnt feel right, and there brand new arb install already had a small leak :doh: ...

i cant garentee that it was all from there work as brother Jeff did have some "pinion problems" at one point :whistle:

im doing another fluid change in a couple days but i was not impressed with there work when i saw it then, hopefully the fluid wont look as bad this time :pray:

Come to think of it; I also have another friend in Palmer that was burned bad by mitchell diff on his ranger
he paid to have a gear ratio change up to 4.88's with all new bearings AND THEY REUSED HIS OLD BEARINGS!!! :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green
"I Hate Illinois Nazis..."