flop/roll tech

Baseshakers
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

flop/roll tech

Unread post by Baseshakers »

i wanted some opinions on what to do after a flop/roll. this weekend after i flopped my jeep (no jeff, i didn't roll it!) we pulled the fuel pump fuse so the jeep wouldn't start. however, there was enough residual pressure for the engine to run for a few seconds. there was a small amount of oil in the cylinders, but it produced nothing more then some smoke for a minute or so.

typically the "procedure" after a flop/roll is to pull the spark plugs, turn the engine over to shoot out any oil, then reinstall the plugs. while this is obviously the safer route, it is a PIA, especially since I have the hard rail over the spark plugs in my '05. would simply pulling the fuel pump fuse, then hitting the test port on the fuel rail to relieve the pressure be sufficient? if the jeep doesn't have any fuel pressure would the starter have enough oomph to bend a rod? just wanted to see what you guys think.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: flop/roll tech

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

If there is enough oil in the cylinder, the starter does have enough torque to damage internal components. On my Jeep, if I flop on the pass side, I know I'm 90% not going to have oil down the intake as the PCV and fresh air tubes go out on the driver's side and are therefore higher than the oil. If I flop on the driver's side, I usually get oil down the PCV/fresh air and have to pull the plugs. The same goes if I am upside down ( where my SM420 likes to drip hot gear oil on my leg).

Most of the guys in my other club usually "tickle" the starter to see if she'll still turn over. If it does without hydrolocking, you're good to go for a start. The safest thing though, is to pull the plugs and evacuate the cylinders. That's what I like to do most of the time. A pain in the ass yes, but better than bending a rod or breaking a piston pin seat.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ChrisD »

Watched the video and still can't understand how you flopped. Perhaps the video didn't capture the angle enough?
Baseshakers

Joe, define "tickle" (with respect to jeep starters only please) :hand:

Nope, it didn't capture the angle. Here's a pic from a few years back when I walked up the same spot on 33s. I think the undercut is much worst now and it was greasy from the recent rain.

johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

I had tried the same line and almost flopped (caught it just in time).
Ryan's rig we had righted up real quick like. As such we thought the pull the fuse and bump the starter would be safe enough.
If we went the full proper way of pulling the plugs and such, we'd still be out there under the hood :)
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
mopar_power
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by mopar_power »

i just flopped my buggy this weekend and didnt pull the plugs and broke a connecting rod in the motor. i usually never pull the plug and have never had a issue but this time it didn't work out that way. i will for now on be pulling the plugs every time i flop just to be safe. it might be a pain to due but it is well worth it in the long run. motor are not cheap to replace. just my personal opinion
84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by 84cj »

Ryan, glad to hear/see that you came out of it OK. This was your first flop right? "I would return the atlas" :lol:

Curtis
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Baseshakers wrote:Joe, define "tickle" (with respect to jeep starters only please) :hand:
It's cranking it enough (just a touch of the key) to get it to turn over a few times, without starting it. When I rolled in Moab, I tickled the starter and could feel that she was hydrolocked. It turned out that all the oil that made it into the intake went into cylinder 4. A pull of the plugs (less time on my 4 popper! :dance: ) and a quick crank blew the oil from the cylinder. Regarding fuel, I've never pulled the fuel pump fuse or worried about the gas. Not enough is introduced (IMO) to make a difference, especially if you're already evac'n the cylinders.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Baseshakers

curtis, i figured all that weight should keep me tire side down!

joe, that's what i figured. i basically did that, but the hope was that with the fuel pump off the engine wouldn't start, so there wouldn't be sufficient oomph to damage anything. i agree that once you evacuate the cylinders there's no reason to worry about the fuel pump.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

84cj wrote:Ryan, glad to hear/see that you came out of it OK. This was your first flop right? "I would return the atlas" :lol:

Curtis
Curtis - if it was the Atlas that caused the flop, then it's much too dangerous to return. He should pull it and get it up to me, along with $50.00 Hazardous Disposal fee. I'll make sure it's handled safely from there.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein