Re: OBA

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

That tank is bigger than my engine.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I have a pancake tank I got for cheap from a junk compressor I can be convinced to part with... I think I still have the pressure relay switch too.

It is yours if you want it Carl, since you got me that JP subscription.

JW
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Jon, that's a deal! I can pick it up whenever's good for you. I'm around all weekend, if that works
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Cool. Carl can make pancakes.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Carl McFly wrote:Jon, that's a deal! I can pick it up whenever's good for you. I'm around all weekend, if that works
I should be home all weekend, so any time works for me.... Didn't realize it was the long weekend until Sunday night, so we haven't planned anything except chores around the house.

JW
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

1 – SUCTION LINE
2 – SERVICE PORT
3 – HIGH PRESSURE CUT-OFF SWITCH
4 – COMPRESSOR
5 – ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET
6 – DISCHARGE LINE

Planning out my first steps. You know me, I'm open to any feedback or ideas so feel free to speak up

My plan is to cut the suction line (#1) somewhere along the rubber part of it, after the aluminum line from the compressor. Attach an air filer, and disconnect the factory hi-press cut off switch (#3)

Cut the pressure line (#6) right before it connects to the aluminum line and goes to the condenser, leaving as much of the factory hi-pressure line as I can. Then re-route that line back towards the firewall, where I can start plumbing in a water separator, pressure switch, tank, and everything else

Re plumbing, I checked HD and found 3/8” ID T’s and some fittings, and the steel pieces are a lot cheaper than brass but I’m thinking they’ll be nothing but trouble down the road. I’m going to start working on this ASAP, I’ll update with pics. And more questions!
johnsxj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Carl,
All the fittings on my "manifold" are either black iron or galvanized iron. NO PROBLEMS with it! Heck, my barb to pipe fitting at the AC line to the seperator is a cheapie nylon one!!!!!

On the suction line, cut it off on the metal part an inch or two from the rubber hose and you could use a filter like I did without any adaptor parts.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

johnsxj wrote:Carl,
All the fittings on my "manifold" are either black iron or galvanized iron. NO PROBLEMS with it!

On the suction line, cut it off on the metal part an inch or two from the rubber hose and you could use a filter like I did without any adaptor parts.
thanks John! Those steel T's are like a buck and a half, compared to about seven for the brass ones

And this is why I keep crap. I dug an old A/C powered compressor out of the bowels of my porch. It didn't work, turns out it had a bad crimp on a wire. But now she's destined to be parted out

It has a 2 gallon tank, a pressure switch (on at 80 PSI, off at 100), a gauge, regulator, blow-off valve and a coiled hose. The hose sucks, but it's a start

I'm thinking of squeezing the tank in my engine compartment, beside the battery and after I remove some AC components, but I don't know. We'll see....... :eusa-think:

Next step is to take stock of what I have, figure out what I still need, do a mock up drawing and make a Cheapo Depot list
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

If the tank is only two gallons, you may be able to squeeze it underneath opposite the muffler. That's what I did, and I have yet to hit it! I ran it inline with the rear air quick connect.
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

Might be able to mount that tank on one of the rear wheel wells?
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

Got a question re lubrication. I have an in-line tool oiler, and my plan is to run it on the input, between the filter and the compressor. But the JP magazine write up says the factory lubricant doesn't play nice with other lubricants, and they say the compressor should be removed, and then cleaned and purged of the factory juices

But that's the only time I've seen that. I've googled a lot of articles on this, and nobody else mentioned this. If you did the OBA conversion, did you give the compressor an emema?

I like John's solution, give it a squirt of oil once in a while. But this betch is down under my PS pump. Not exactly accessible. The in-line oiler is a blessing for a lazy dude like me and I'm thinking, it will (hopefully) accomplish the same thing
johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

You'll need the correct (read $$) oiler. I tried doing it with a regular inline oiler.......... leave-us just say it didn't work.

Pull your new filter now and then and put a few squirts down that to at least help the piston rings (not too much though!)
Function over form=4x4

Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

OBA

Unread post by Baseshakers »

I'll try to find the link to the oiler I used. I went through a few different ones (and a couple Sandens!) 'til I found the right one
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

I may try one of these HF oilers on my TJ.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 68227.html

"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by 84cj »

Here are some pic's of my OBA set up.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i363/84cj/143.jpg
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i363/84cj/146.jpg

I have since changed the filter, to a much larger one from Sears, looks identical to the one you see in John's pictures. Works great. One of the best things I have done to my heep, for sure.

Curtis