Hhappy Meadium

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Hhappy Meadium

Unread post by Frank »

Anyone got the answer ? Im tryin to figure out the right length for shocks. Mine that came with the springs are now to short, They top out on droop. I can get a deal on some used ones (weeks) but they are huge and Im thinking on compression they will bottom out. Whats the deal ? FjR68
johnsxj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Hhappy Meadium

Unread post by johnsxj »

You need to disconnect your shocks, flex the heck out of Mona, and break out the tape measure.
George still has the RTI trailer at his place. That would work perfect to flex things out.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

John : Thanks, I had her on the ramp at the GAJR and she got 896 in both directions. Im told its very good numbers for a CJ-5 ? Dont have anything to compare it to. I noticed it a couple times this year , That I carried a wheel while traversing some part of the obstacle. I added two " over last winter and was wondering why , as I dont remember this happening before . Doing a repair last week I noticed that removing the shock the axle fell another 2". I forgot about the shackle increase. If I get shocks three " longer travel , The body is also longer , hence the bottom on compression question. FjR68
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

That's why you need to remove the shocks then compress one side of the axle while drooping out the other side. You can then measure the extended and compressed lengths you need the shocks to be.

And high 800's on a 20 degree ramp really ain't all that bad for a CJ5 :P
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Captian Carnage
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

I would unbolt your shocks see where it is at full drop if your DS spins with no binding Measure the distance and try to get a shock that extends 1 more inch That how I bought my rear shocks If Quadratech or 4wd dont have those numbers for The extended and compressed they will give you The Manufactur #s of the shock you want to call