Tire balancing with a product called equal?

ChrisD
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ChrisD »

Anyone ever had their tires balanced using a bag of beads, product called equal?
nostaw

Re: Tire balancing with a product called equal?

Unread post by nostaw »

Seen it done / ridden in a jeep with Airsoft pellets... Works, but isn't DOT approved / won't pass inspection if they notice.

JW
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I sometimes put Equal in my coffee.

Other than that, I wouldn't put stuff in my tires. My 38's have no weight and run pretty well, even at 70MPH.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
schwalby

Unread post by schwalby »

I have air soft pellets in my LTBs and they work great. Rim weights didn't work for crap.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Little Napoleon wrote:Anyone ever had their tires balanced using a bag of beads, product called equal?
I heard the equal clumps up when it gets wet and you're no better off. Not sure if it's true, but that's what I read on other forums

schwalby wrote:I have air soft pellets in my LTBs and they work great. Rim weights didn't work for crap.
I'm going to try the pellets when I bolt on my new LTB's. I had the same experience with rim weights. They're useless
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

Found all this info...

If Water Is Inside A Tire, Does It Have Any Effect On Equal?

Equal does not absorb moisture in any manner. Equal is a plastic polymer granule, and thus water or moisture will not change its composition. Moisture that accumulates inside the tire will evaporate due to normal driving conditions and therefore is in contact with Equal for a very short time. Equal, when in contact with large amounts of water--to the point where it is actually floating in the pooled water--will do just that, float. This will interfere with the ability of Equal to optimize the given tire in the way that the tire dealer or fleet had intended when installing the product. Simply, this means that although Equal will never damage the tire in any way, if it is in contact with large amounts of water, it cannot perform its job. Again, it is important to reiterate, that in most cases, moisture will evaporate due to the heat build up in normal driving, and once the moisture has evaporated, Equal will perform as it originally did.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/equal/
IronTortoise
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1994
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by IronTortoise »

I have been using centramatic wheel balancers which are disks that slide over the wheel studs between the rotor/drum and the wheel. They work in much the same way with an outer ring containing a similar medium that self balances as you drive. I have been happy with them.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

IronTortoise wrote:I have been using centramatic wheel balancers which are disks that slide over the wheel studs between the rotor/drum and the wheel. They work in much the same way with an outer ring containing a similar medium that self balances as you drive. I have been happy with them.
I looked at those once... At the time the amount of weight they could offset was fairly small, relative to the weight some of the swampers needed. I think it depends on the tire you want to use. I believe the newer swampers are easier to balance than the old ones... My "spare" LTB has 6-8 oz of weight on it and isn't well balanced (why it is the spare)....

JW
scrambldcj8
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by scrambldcj8 »

nostaw wrote:Seen it done / ridden in a jeep with Airsoft pellets... Works, but isn't DOT approved / won't pass inspection if they notice.

JW
I am wondering how the hell would they notice? Never known an inspection station to even think about tire balance....not like they take the vehicle for a ride or anything.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

scrambldcj8 wrote:
nostaw wrote:Seen it done / ridden in a jeep with Airsoft pellets... Works, but isn't DOT approved / won't pass inspection if they notice.

JW
I am wondering how the hell would they notice? Never known an inspection station to even think about tire balance....not like they take the vehicle for a ride or anything.
They pull it in/out of the bay... You can hear the beads rolling around in the tire when the vehicle moves / stops. You don't have to go very fast... At parking lot speeds you'd notice them.

JW
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

So far I am not hearing anything in the tires
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

IronTortoise wrote:I have been using centramatic wheel balancers which are disks that slide over the wheel studs between the rotor/drum and the wheel. They work in much the same way with an outer ring containing a similar medium that self balances as you drive. I have been happy with them.
What about speeds 55+? Noticed after 55mph the jeep just shakes from the tires being unbalanced.
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Little Napoleon wrote:
What about speeds 55+? Noticed after 55mph the jeep just shakes from the tires being unbalanced.
Try adding more weight.

JW
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Also make sure that you dont have a bent rim. FjR68
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

Rims/tires are new