Rust Never Rests

COH143
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1993
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Rust Never Rests

Unread post by COH143 »

My right rear shock hanger is rusting out, has been for a while. It is to the point now where the shape has deformed on one side from me slamming it around. The remaining metal is getting too thin to support the abuse. I have seen replacement shock hangers on frame sections that you weld on. Is there an option other then replacing the entire frame?
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Re: Rust Never Rests

Unread post by DOUG »

2022 Gladiator Rubicon
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I just weld steel on everything until it holds.

Cut off the old mount and weld a gusseted piece of angle on there. I'll be making one (or two) soon for my YJ as well as a couple of other beef ups to prep for Moab. I'll post a pic when I can.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by schwalby »

Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

that one looks like it requires that the old mount be present and solid. Not sure it will work

Jeff, at Crown Automotive, has replacement mounts that look just like the factory ones. Cut off the old one, if the frame is rotted then patch it, and weld the replacement on.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
COH143

Unread post by COH143 »

I looked at the autorust.com parts and they look good to me. The question I guess is how much good metal do I have left on my 19-year old frame. Love to get a new mandrel bent frame but they are $2,500. Don't have silly money. Will just grind and weld until it holds a la Joe.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

A 19 yr, old frame . Wow ! Dude Mine is a 1974 - 38 yr. frame and just been boxed in. I wonder if by boxing it , lets stuff stay on the inside so it rust faster ? There is hope to save yours. You dont need a frame yet ! (bumper sticker) There has never been a JEEP made that couldnt be repaired one more time ! We saw that in Pa. FjR68
COH143

Unread post by COH143 »

You are right Frank, and that's what I tell my wife. I plan to drive mine until I die. I am sure my Heep will still be running.