ox shifter mount question

Keith
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

ox shifter mount question

Unread post by Keith »

picked up this shifter mount a couple of days ago - i want to routh cable so it's totally outside of the cab. Second pic is where it gets mounted (note that it's upside down as i have not cut into the tub yet.

Here's the question... notice that the front & bottom of the actual shifter are open.

Should I be worried about water getting into the cable housing?
2003 Silver TJ Sport, 5.5” Clayton LA, MetalCloak'd, 1” BL, 35” Mudgrapplers, 17” AEV Pintlers, Superwinch EPi9.0, Teraflex SS SYE & Tom Woods d/s, 4.56’s, OX, Herc’d, Clayton skids, Chromolys, Currie HD, CO2 & a bunch of other goodies...
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: ox shifter mount question

Unread post by Kurt »

I would be...
Water, sand, mud, salt,....
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Keith

Unread post by Keith »

yah.... figured. I'll figure something out :)
2003 Silver TJ Sport, 5.5” Clayton LA, MetalCloak'd, 1” BL, 35” Mudgrapplers, 17” AEV Pintlers, Superwinch EPi9.0, Teraflex SS SYE & Tom Woods d/s, 4.56’s, OX, Herc’d, Clayton skids, Chromolys, Currie HD, CO2 & a bunch of other goodies...
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

Looking at the shifter on the ox site, it looks like things are fairly covered up between the shifter and the cable though the bottom is exposed. Might work to RTV a plastic or metal plate to the bottom with an 1/8" hole to lot moisture out. You could try sealing some seams with RTV though sometimes that ends up holding moisture in that would have normally escaped if it wasn't sealed. My motto: if you can't guarantee it will be sealed up, leave a way for any moisture that gets inside a part, a way to get out. You could try Ox tech support to see if the cable is designed to be exposed to the elements under the jeep. E-brake cables go into a sheathing under jeeps so I think the ox cable exposed is reasonable.

pic of install from polly performance
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

BTW, I like the similar style mount for the YJ/CJ.

Now that you have had it for a few years, how do you like the Ox? Have you had issues with the cable adjustment? Would you recommend/buy it again?

-Andy
smileyfish
Jeep Model: CJ3B

Unread post by smileyfish »

i love my ox, i have not had an issue yet. i wish i could put one in my 9".
Keith

Unread post by Keith »

Maybe some duct tape is the answer :) I

The original manufacturer of those mounts is http://searchers4wd.com/ ... talked to the owner when i bought, seems like a nice guy.

Re: the OX... I got hot and cold on it. The cable routing was a bit screwy at the beginning, so it wouldnt engage all the time. I've had to re-adjust a couple of times, and most recently it's been working well. Overall, I'm happy with it... ill deal with the small issues to have a totally selectable option.