YJ flair kits

KevinP
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

YJ flair kits

Unread post by KevinP »

Can I use Bushwacker Flat Style Flares For 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited on my yj if i dont mind trimming and moving mounting holes? Any input would be helpful. Thank you... ;)
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Re: YJ flair kits

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Sure , but why not just buy the YJ flares?

You looking to open the fender to fit a larger tire?
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
KevinP

Unread post by KevinP »

Yeah, if i can fit 35's ill use them and go with 4.56 gears but dont know if they will fit with the RE 4.5 lift and 1" body lift.
KevinP

Unread post by KevinP »

I guess what I really need to know is if I can fit 35's on the yj with a rubicon express 4.5 inch lift and a 1" body lift. asuming i trim a little and use the tj fender flairs.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Kevin : My CJ wheel wells are just a bit smaller than a YJ and I did alot of rear trimming and use TJ Rubicon rear flares to hide the sawzall extraction of sheet metal. The front was more reshaping the bottom rear parts of the fender. Good luck FjR68
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Kevin,
4.5" of lift and a 1" body kit should clear 35"s without a problem.
I'll agree with Joe about using 4.88 gears. Learned that the hard way (4.56 and 35"s = not using overdrive much).
Find your 8.8" BEFORE doing any gear work/lockers!!!!! The D35 isn't really worth putting money into.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
KevinP

Unread post by KevinP »

John,
Thanks for the info. I'll get he rear OX locker for the Ford 8.8 , I wont put any money into the D35. I also think I'm gonna stick to the 33's for now. But I appreciate knowing that I can go that route in the future. Again, thanks for the help guys.
IronTortoise
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1994

Unread post by IronTortoise »

You might want to talk to Kurt before commiting to the Ox. He talked me out of it.
KevinP

Unread post by KevinP »

I only hear good things about them. What have you heard?
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

YJ flair kits

Unread post by ChrisD »

Do u have 35's now? If not, wheel for a few years on 32-33" before going to 35's.
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

The choice of your rear locker depends on if you need a selectable locker or you can live with a autolocker.
Selectables are nice for on pavement as they revert to an open diff when unlocked. They are nice on the trail as they can help in situations where it's beneficial to unlock the diff for tight turns, etc.
As John pointed out the OX cable has to be carefully routed and you need to be careful not to damage it when wheeling. The shift cable has to be well adjusted or it may not engage or dis-engage fully. They can be a little fussy in adjusting.
For me I chose to put in a Detroit autolocker as my 92 YJ is 99% a trail rig. I like the bullet proof operation and no cables, hoses or wire to get damaged. Riliable and tough.
I also run a Detroit in my 97 TJ which is 90% a street rig.
The Detroit has it's quirks on pavement. Once you are use to them it's not a big deal on the street.

Like many upgrade options there are pro's and con's to each item. It really depends on your rig's use and weight you place on the pro's and con's.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
KevinP

Unread post by KevinP »

I decided to run the 33's for a while. If i want to go 35's ill wait till the 33's wear out. Seeing as though I have yet to purchase the tires, they will be new and hopefully last a while. It will be a daily driver but I dont put more than 5,000 miles per year on my vehicles. I also have a set of winter rims and tires, so the 33's should last a couple years I hope...lol
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

X2 on Detroit lockers. Fire and forget operation.

33's are a good all around size for a short wheelbase Jeep.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Kurt wrote:The choice of your rear locker depends on if you need a selectable locker or you can live with a autolocker.
Selectables are nice for on pavement as they revert to an open diff when unlocked. They are nice on the trail as they can help in situations where it's beneficial to unlock the diff for tight turns, etc.
As John pointed out the OX cable has to be carefully routed and you need to be careful not to damage it when wheeling. The shift cable has to be well adjusted or it may not engage or dis-engage fully. They can be a little fussy in adjusting.
For me I chose to put in a Detroit autolocker as my 92 YJ is 99% a trail rig. I like the bullet proof operation and no cables, hoses or wire to get damaged. Riliable and tough.
I also run a Detroit in my 97 TJ which is 90% a street rig.
The Detroit has it's quirks on pavement. Once you are use to them it's not a big deal on the street.

Like many upgrade options there are pro's and con's to each item. It really depends on your rig's use and weight you place on the pro's and con's.
I notice that OX now sells both an electric and an air power actuator if you don't want to deal with the cable.

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-Jeep ... OXLOXE1001

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-Jeep ... OXLOXA1001
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein