RMS again!

del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

RMS again!

Unread post by del_TJ »

WTF, my rear main seal is leaking again after replacing it 2 summers ago. Is the 2-piece design (Felpro in this case) prone to leaking or am I just a bad home mechanic? I carefully followed the on-line instructions posted below, used plenty of anaerobic sealant, new oil pan gasket and torqued everything to spec. And, it's definitely not leaking from the valve cover since I checked today. Is there a trick to getting a good seal?

Doesn't look so bad in the pics, but it's a day after wiping it down. Leaves an oil mark every time in my garage and driveway. Could the leak be coming from anywhere else?
P1000346.jpg
P1000356.jpg
http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=811
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: RMS again!

Unread post by Kurt »

That stinks...
A couple of thoughts:
- Did you orient the seal lip in the correct direction?
- Possibly the crank is scored and it wiped out the new seal.
- Valve covers sometimes leak at the very rear by the firewall. Hard to see back there.
- There may be a leak at the oil pressure sender or the oil filter and it's blowing back and running down the inspection plate
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: RMS again!

Unread post by del_TJ »

I triple checked the seal orientation before putting it in, so I think it's right. I did notice a couple of light surface scratches on the crank but it was real light, nothing your fingernail could grab and it looked normal to me. Also ran my hand along the back of the head below the valve cover and it was dry. Oil filter wasn't leaking but I didn't check the pressure sender yet - it's worth a look.