YJ Flex Issues

jbishop
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

YJ Flex Issues

Unread post by jbishop »

I feel like my YJ doesn't flex all that great.

I don't really want to convert to arm setup. I am finally starting to make my jeep more trail worthy with a lunch box and one piece shafts in the front. I have a rough country 4" that was done a long while ago and that's about it (and a winch).

What can be done to get this thing to flex a little better? What do you recommend for shocks?

TIA,

Jared
Back off man, I'm a scientist!
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: YJ Flex Issues

Unread post by johnsxj »

Do you have swaybar disconnects? That's probably the #1 improvement you can make for low $$$ Some people just pull the swaybar off for a no $$$ improvement in flex. Greaseable bolts for the leaf springs can help a little by cutting down resistance at the bushings. If you have shocks that are too short for the amount of lift, that will cut into the amount of down travel the springs can use. As far as shock brands, I'm running BDS in the rear and Skyjacker in the front.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
jbishop

Unread post by jbishop »

I dont have disconnects, but have been toying with the idea. What would happen to my street manners if I get rid of it all together?
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Hard to say what your street manners would be w/o the swaybar. That would depend on the spring rates, condition of shocks, tires, driving style, etc...
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by Kurt »

You can always disconnect the axle end of the sway bar and tie it up out of the way and drive it for a bit.
If it's too squirrely then reconnect 1 or both. If it's OK then take'm out.

I tossed my sway bar and track bars years ago. Of course my YJ is primarily a trail pig now and not a DD.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Kurt wrote:I tossed my sway bar and track bars years ago.
X2. Haven't run those in....jeebus....years :handgestures-thumbupright:
Getting rid of that track bar will be night and day.

Also, depending on the type of spring clamps, you may be able to loosen them up a bit.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

Rough Country springs are not known to be very flexy. Removing the sway bar and both track bars should help, but as others said try it on the street before you commit to it.
A softer spring may be the answer, either Rubicon Express or Superlift Softride would do the trick.

jbishop wrote:I feel like my YJ doesn't flex all that great.

I don't really want to convert to arm setup. I am finally starting to make my jeep more trail worthy with a lunch box and one piece shafts in the front. I have a rough country 4" that was done a long while ago and that's about it (and a winch).

What can be done to get this thing to flex a little better? What do you recommend for shocks?

TIA,

Jared
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

DOUG wrote:Rough Country springs are not known to be very flexy. Removing the sway bar and both track bars should help, but as others said try it on the street before you commit to it.
A softer spring may be the answer, either Rubicon Express or Superlift Softride would do the trick.

jbishop wrote:I feel like my YJ doesn't flex all that great.

TIA,

Jared
Or go back to the stock springs and do a spring over conversion. But definitely lose the track bars and sway bar, you won't notice much of a difference on the road with a leaf sprung vehicle.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I run Black Diamond springs and never had a swaybar or trac bar on my 74. The springs are so soft , it flexes with the best of em. The steet is another chapter in life. After a turn you have to whip the wheel in the other direction to get her level again. Constant alertness is required on the road. Ive always heard that once you go to a 4 inch leaf it stops being compliant. The BD springs were 3inch and rated soft. I have 4inch springs on my new build and am nervous they wont work. Well find out next year. FjR68
jbishop

Unread post by jbishop »

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't drive her on the street a ton but I don't have a tow rig so I need to drive back and forth from the trail. I will pull the swaybar end links and track bar and see how it goes. If its too crazy on the street I can add them back in and disconnect them for the trail only.
nhdcoye
BSJ Member

Unread post by nhdcoye »

X2 > with Kurt. Removed the rear track bar first and did not not notice it gone during road trips however big change off road.
Next I installed the sway bar disconnects and it help alot off road. One day I lost ( Later found in the jeep) the disconnects and it was not a big deal to drive on the street so I removed the sway bar for good. I also have/had the RC 4"lift kit and run 33" Baja claws. The other item that helped was to keep the leafs of the springs lubed so they slide easily. You can jack up one side of the front and then loosen/remove the front shock nut at the top to see if the wheel will drop/travel down further. I found that adding a 2" bolt extension to the top of the shock got me almost 2" more droop and did not effect the compression in the front. I also added 1" longer shackles and clearenced the bumper to allow full movement at full compression as they hit the bumber limiting the travel. I have heard the boomerang shanckles can be used to to increase travel but have not seen then personally.
The same can be done in the back to check to see if the shocks are limiting your travel .
I have run teraflex revolvers which greatly enhance the flex . I run them in rear however I now run a ford 8.8 with spring over and recently limited the amount of droop to minimize the driveshaft binding at extreme angles. :-o
I believe I still may have my front sway bar disconnts if you are interested. Let me know and I'll check once the snow melts.
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids
jbishop

Unread post by jbishop »

For now I am just going to disconnect everything and check for bind. Thanks everyone for the help.
bivyDema
Jeep Year: 1975

YJ Flex Issues

Unread post by bivyDema »

yip, i done that already, my rego been on hold since the day my car went off the road, as my rego actually ran out

btw, my steering wheel issues are all better now i have a horn again
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

bivyDema wrote:yip, i done that already, my rego been on hold since the day my car went off the road, as my rego actually ran out

btw, my steering wheel issues are all better now i have a horn again

:character-spamcan: ???

How's the weather in Australia? Better renew your rego.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
bivyDema
Jeep Year: 1975

Unread post by bivyDema »

Happy New Year!!!!!