New from Somerville

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
ArticRubi
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: New from Somerville

Unread post by ArticRubi »

Frank wrote:I might nix the 18s ! You should ask the members their recommendations on wheel size. What I know with 15s and 35s I have enough sidewall to deflect when I air down. You wont have any sidewall with 18s and a much greater chance of popping a tire off the bead. You also wont get a bigger foot print when aired down due to the lack of side wall. Not tellin ya what to do, just tryin to help. Put the question out on the tech sec. See what the GOOROO"S recommend. If you already bought them , we"ll see what goes.And as for senior year I skipped that day, your lucky . Happy Trails FjR68
It would definitely be more capable if I would have went with a smaller rim, but the truth is its more of a daily driver than a dedicated trail rig. I decided it would be better with a larger rim for DD situations to have a more rigid sidewall. I won't be able to air down a lot, but I should be fine running +/- 25 psi. Thanks for your input, and remember to not take me too seriously. :) I'm prone to talking a little junk.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

ArticRubi wrote: What can I say? My baby is going to be one trail capable pretty boy!
ArticRubi wrote:I won't be able to air down a lot, but I should be fine running +/- 25 psi.
25 PSI isn't going to cut it on the trail. Every tire/wheel combination is different, but generally 8-12 PSI works well for most radial construction tires. You'll notice a huge difference beyween 25 and 10.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Here is a site from one of our experienced members. It has a lot of great info.

http://www.seetheusabyjeep.com/assets/P ... _down.html

Frank wrote: If anyone tells you I have the prettiest Jeep in the club , Their right ! Happy Trails. FjR68
BTW Frank, your '5 isn't half as good looking as my hunk 'O doo dee. :dance:
midniteryder
Jeep Model: KK Liberty

Unread post by midniteryder »

x2 Joe Carol & I run 25 p.s.i on the pavement. 10-12 on trail with our 33' Mickey's.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Your right Joe ! Im sorry for trying to steal the angry squirrels (all4ofem) glory. Duncan dude, if your in the habit of trash talkin , youll do just fine. FjR68
ArticRubi

Thanks for the website, there was so good info on there. I figured if I aired down about 10 psi from the 35 I'll probably run highway it would improve traction a lot. Do people commonly air down to 10 psi without running beadlocks? Also, have you guys found that the foot print you leave vs. how much you air down is a fairly standard ratio, or does it differ greatly depending on the tire you run? I'm thinking it may behoove me to pick up another set of rims and tires to run on the trail, but I'll wait and see what I come up with after I get the new meat on and run some tests. Thanks for the info guys.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

ArticRubi wrote:Thanks for the website, there was so good info on there. I figured if I aired down about 10 psi from the 35 I'll probably run highway it would improve traction a lot. Do people commonly air down to 10 psi without running beadlocks? Also, have you guys found that the foot print you leave vs. how much you air down is a fairly standard ratio, or does it differ greatly depending on the tire you run? I'm thinking it may behoove me to pick up another set of rims and tires to run on the trail, but I'll wait and see what I come up with after I get the new meat on and run some tests. Thanks for the info guys.

There is no standard ratio regarding airing down. Typically though, most radial tires really start to shine in the mid teens and generally get better as you go lower. People do commonly air down lower without beadlocks, but it generally depends on your wheel and tire width (a narrower rim being able to hold a bead better). Example, a 33x12.5 tire will stay on an 8" wide rim better than a 10" wide rim on the trail. I usually run about 3-4 psi in my 38x15.5's on a 10" wide rim. The only time I ever lost a bead was out in Moab, and once I crested the obstacle, it reseated.

Picking up an extra set of wheels/tires for the trail can get expensive and be a PITA changing for every run. I think you'll find your tires sweet spot once on the trail. After they break in a bit, they'll be even better.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

The Crushers dont work well till Im in the 3/4 lb. range. The TSLs 32s worked great at 10 lbs. The 35s took almost a season to break in and now work alot better. I was afraid I made a mistake buying them. Id start by trial and error. 12/14 this run and 10/12 the next. I ran the 32s on 8 in. rims then I made my own beadlocks and go to single digits. FjR68
ArticRubi

You guys are champs. Not only am I used to being able to BS, but I'm also used to not getting called on it! I'm thinking this club could be a healthy, educational experience. Most of my trail experience came in my old Toyota Tacoma out beating through the woods with a dog box on the back trying to find some quail. Sure, I got into some mud, and challenged my rig (most of the time just for the heck of it,) but this is my first Jeep, and there is literally no comparing its' capabilities to what my 'yota could do. Feel free to look up my recent topic on the Tech board, it could be applicable to either of you, I'm guessing!
Last edited by ArticRubi on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

ArticRubi wrote:I'm thinking this club could be a healthy, educational experience.
Luke: "I'm not afraid".

Yoda: "You will be........you will be...."

:lol:
ArticRubi

I'll try agin in 2012

Hey all. Ended up opting to not join at the end of 2011, ultimately focused more on building my rig an wheeling it a bit in some of my local spots. Anyway, I noticed on your Facebook page there's a run this Sunday; any chance of being able to meet up, application in hand, and hit the trail with y'all?

Here's the build sheet to date:
Drivetrain:
Vortech V3 blower, RIPP mods intercooler
RIPP mods long tube headers
Superior 4.88 gears
Front axle sleeved, C gussets

Suspension/Rolling:
RK 3.5": adjustable uppers, lowers, track bars
Drag link flip, gusseted front and rear track bar brackets
35x12.50 Trail Grapplers

Recovery:
9.5cti winch, straps, CB, ect, ect, ect
PSC bumpers
OR-Fab rear tire carrier

Others;
Wild Boar fastback hardtop and cargo rack
Kenwood 9980 DVD/Nav

a few pictures for the sake of full disclosure :D

Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

nice looking ride!
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

How does it go with the blower?
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
88jeepxj
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by 88jeepxj »

Are you rich?! :) You've put a lot of money into that JK. Looks killer though. The blower must really wake up that motor.

I was on the fence about the club for awhile too but once I joined and went on a run I was kicking myself for not joining earlier. It is short money and the runs are usually FREE. No brainer. Join up and I hope to see that badass JK out on the next run.
ArticRubi

Thanks Jake and unnamed fella with the XJ. Doug, it runs like a bat out of hell....for a 5000 pound shoe box :D It makes highway driving much more manageable, before I was rowing gears going up hills even with the slightest grade. Even when it was totally stock it was pretty rough, the 3.8 is highly anemic, even with the stock 4.10's it had trouble on the hills. To give you an idea what it did for me, a stock JK will pull about 145 HP on a chasis dyno, this fella has made a 270 HP pull with the blower/header combo.

As far as membership goes, $50 for a year membership is a steal. I'd love to get out on the trail with y'all, meet and greet, ect, hopefully it will be a good fit.

Is the ride still on for Sunday? I'd love to get involved (provided I'm home in time for the Pats game.)