Brand New Rubicon Owner - First Jeep

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Brand New Rubicon Owner - First Jeep

Unread post by Kurt »

We have a easy/moderate run in mid-October and another on mid-November.
Both would be good ones to get a little beginner "seat time" on.

You just messed a great event that was 9/9-9/11. Lot of trails from beginner to buggy material.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

I think your jeep came with a hitch so you will need one of these and a pin to hold it in.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_1101.htm and a version of this:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12500_1200_07.htm

this is a family friendly jeep club and i bring my 6 and 8 year old girls on a lot of runs. when we receive your membership form you get access to the rest fo the forum. We do club runs once or twice a month. the last run had 5 rigs and the run before that about 10 so it varies by day and location how many people show. We always have someone willing to spot you over an obstacle and such. Like someone said above you may get scratches dents and body damage is possible as well. When we have larger groups we have an moderate and hard group. With 32s on that wheel base you will be scarping along a lot of rocks and such but that is what the jeep was made for.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

I thought Rubicons came with a rear tow hook too. If not, just push the loop of the tow strap into the receiver, then pass the retaining pin thru it. That's all I do.
My 09 2-door has 32" tires on it, it goes most anywhere I've pointed the thing, including Moab.

The wife's 07 unlimited X has factory 32", it's bare stock except for the Evap canister skid and rocker protection, has been offroaded plenty with no ill effects.

Last edited by DDewar53 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
ArticRubi
Jeep Year: 2008
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by ArticRubi »

ZAEDOCK wrote:
Your 'Con has what it needs mechanically. I believe the only extra skid you might want to think about before hitting the trail is one for the Evap canister.
I hear the factory one is very thin. You can google it to get some more info (key words *jk evap skid*).
Unless its changed since '08, there is no skid on on the evap canister. I ordered mine from poison spyder (I've got their bumpers, so I decided to keep it up,) and at $105 plus S&H it won't break the bank. That skid will be a whole lot cheaper than buying in new can!

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-Evap- ... 56-010.htm
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

ArticRubi wrote:
ZAEDOCK wrote:
Your 'Con has what it needs mechanically. I believe the only extra skid you might want to think about before hitting the trail is one for the Evap canister.
I hear the factory one is very thin. You can google it to get some more info (key words *jk evap skid*).
Unless its changed since '08, there is no skid on on the evap canister. I ordered mine from poison spyder (I've got their bumpers, so I decided to keep it up,) and at $105 plus S&H it won't break the bank. That skid will be a whole lot cheaper than buying in new can!

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-Evap- ... 56-010.htm
2012's have a thin skid. It is also the mounting plate. I heard the '07 -'11 PSC skids do not fit the '12 application well.

If it were me, I would just build my own by beefing up the factory mount. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
midniteryder
Jeep Model: KK Liberty

Unread post by midniteryder »

Brad wrote:Could someone give me a little clue about how the runs work, and what I should be thinking about, given TOTAL inexperience? :-o

How many vehicles in a typical run, what is the format?
Can i bring my teenage daughter (who likes my crazy antics)?
Are there different levels of runs, to build up confidence?
Do you know what the October event is already?
Do I need mods to be able to participate eg bigger than 32" tires?
I have the factory rear bumper. Is that ok, or do I need one with tow hooks? (I have tow hooks in front)

Thanks!
My wife Carol & (MA DUCE) Have been wheeling 5 years now and when we first started we both wheeled 6 months bone stock to get seat time and also to decide how we wanted to upgrade our rigs. Dont waste your $$ buying a lot of bling before going out on the trail. Your JK is fine out of the box and you will always have help on the trail. :)
Brad
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by Brad »

thanks, i think im ok as is then.

i mailed in a check and the application. how will i get access to the Club Events section?

thx :happy-wavemulticolor:
Hoodoo Man

Brad wrote:thanks, i think im ok as is then.

i mailed in a check and the application. how will i get access to the Club Events section?

thx :happy-wavemulticolor:
as long as you put your user name in with the application once our club secretary receives it you are given automatic access to the members only section. this gives us time to delete posts we make about you before you join up... j/k ;)
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Brad
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by Brad »

i dont think i did that, since i sent in the app before joining the forum.
Hoodoo Man

Voodoo Chile wrote:Welcome to the forum Brad. If you go to our main page baystatejeepers.com you can find the min requirements on one page and our membership form on the other. Its only 25 to join this time of year but there are still a few runs left this year and you dont need to renew until March and we will have a few runs before then. The main things your rubi wont have are a fire extinguisher, recovery strap and a CB. We just had a run yesterday and some members are headed to Rausch Creek at the end of the month so the next club run isnt until 10/15.... feel free to ask questions and again welcome to the forum. Care to share some pictures of your rig? :)
For the record I mis-spoke/wrote about the rate, it should be 30 bucks as its a 40% discount. :doh: We'll let it slide for you since it was my bad. ;)

Hope to see you in a few weeks on the trail!!
1970 Jeepster- stock