Paul's 91XJ build!

PaulT
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1991
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Paul's 91XJ build!

Unread post by PaulT »

Ordered the stage 2 bumper tonight. It'll probably end up being the nicest piece on the junkpile.

Planning on installing the new drivers seat tomorrow before the snow, and trying to find a place to store the 2 doors that i haven't swapped out yet. T-case skid and track bar will probably go on whenever the snow ends, and the 8.25 will hopefully be pushing me around by the time the new bumper comes in. It'll nice to get all that stuff out of the back of the XJ.

Next (and last for the winter) on the list is to lock the front with a lunchbox locker. Anyone have knowledge of the Spartan Locker? I read in JP magazine that it was a pretty straightforward installation, and acts like a typical auto locker. I've also read on various forums that most people aren't willing to be a guinea pig. Some one want to try to talk me out that, keeping in mind that i am ok with being a guinea pig, especially since there is a 1 year warranty in this case. Should i buy it, try it, and keep the stock spider gears on me at all times?
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

PaulT wrote:Ordered the stage 2 bumper tonight. It'll probably end up being the nicest piece on the junkpile.
that's some nice hardware!!

PaulT wrote: Next (and last for the winter) on the list is to lock the front with a lunchbox locker. Anyone have knowledge of the Spartan Locker? I read in JP magazine that it was a pretty straightforward installation, and acts like a typical auto locker. Should i buy it, try it, and keep the stock spider gears on me at all times?
I read that comparo, it looks a lot like the other lockers out there, installation has to be the same..... you'd think......
OK, found the install PDF http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo ... ctions.pdf

If I didn't just score a D30 with a LockRite, I'd probably be in the market for the same locker
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988

Unread post by johnsxj »

How do the other lunchboxes compare in price? Where is it made? The answers to those questions should help you decide.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

PaulT wrote: Should i buy it, try it, and keep the stock spider gears on me at all times?
Keeping the spiders on hand is a good idea. You'll blow a 260-x u-joint before that locker goes though.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

Paul, you can throw those doors in my garage if you need to. I'm sure that I can carve out a couple of square feet for you.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Carl McFly »

fortyfour wrote:Paul, you can throw those doors in my garage if you need to. I'm sure that I can carve out a couple of square feet for you.
or Eve should have some room in her kitchen now ;)

my only concern about the Spartan would be taking it out if there's a problem. That spring design makes it easier to install but I don't see how you can get the springs compressed again, once it's in

Let me know when you're working on this trail beast, I'll lend a hand if I can
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
PaulT
Jeep Year: 1991

Unread post by PaulT »

I would assume if its broken, itd be coming out in pieces!

Tim, thanks for the offer, i hid them in the back of the work trailer for now! My boss hasn't been in there for months, as long as he doesn't notice them till spring i'll be good to go.

Carl, i'll probably highjack some help when you take your new toy up to U-do-it. Let me know if you plan a spontaneous excursion to Nashua and i'll follow along, get a little bit done at a time.