Jeep Make Over > The beginning......

nhdcoye
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Jeep Make Over > The beginning......

Unread post by nhdcoye »

I'm back after my STD, NO it's not what you're thinking ... " Short Term Disability " :doh:

Started back to work a few weeks ago on light duty ( can you say 1000's of emails ) and saw the my surgeon on Friday for the second time.
The Doc gave me the OK to begin using my arm a little :happy-jumpeveryone:
I'm not supposed to lift angthing above my head so I am taking it easy, I just do my wrenching standing up :lol:
I started my fame swap this weekend and was able to get the donor frame cleaned up and treated with after blast to protect it in the short term. I reinforced anything that proved to be a weak or rust spot on my existing frame and removed excess brackets and mounts.I still need to french the rear spring mounts and decide if I want to switch to XJ springs in the rear at the same time to soften the ride.....
Removed the old Heap's body with the aid of a dozen or more cut -off wheels ,lots of PB Blaster with impact wrench and liberal amounts of knuckle skin.
The old frame was way worse than I thought and I'm amazed it did not seperate/ break on some of the harder runs last year :-o
Couple of pics of the frame prep and body extraction.....
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids
johnsxj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Jeep Make Over > The beginning......

Unread post by johnsxj »

Looking good! But can you leave at least one 2x4 in your rebuild for old times sake?!?
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Looks good. I'm going to have to do that soon too, or in the very least jack the body to make more frame repairs.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

ITS ALIVE!!! ALIVE I TELL YOU!!

welcome back Dave, those frame pics are SCARY!!
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
nhdcoye
BSJ Member

Unread post by nhdcoye »

johnsxj wrote:Looking good! But can you leave at least one 2x4 in your rebuild for old times sake?!?
I was thinking the same thing :)
I may save a piece of the "old body support structure " and carve it for suitable mounting on the new unit as tribute to the excellent service it had provided....
92 YJ 6Cyl > 3 " lift, ford 8.8 SOA on XJ springs with Aussie out back, D30 with alloy 30's and ARB up front 4:56. 35 MTR's, 10K Winch, SYE ,traction bar, onBd Air and lots of gently used skids
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by schwalby »

Welcome back Dave!!

I am pretty sure though that when the Doc said light duty he wasn't talking about removing a tub from a frame. :P
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

Dave do you need any help? Perhaps a couple extra hands?
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

nhdcoye wrote:Image
:shock: :confusion-helpsos: :shock:

DAVE!!!!!! welcome back!!
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Eve
Jeep Year: 2001

Unread post by Eve »

Welcome back Dave, and PLEEEEEEEEEEEASSSSSSE be careful!! Let us know when you could use some hands and we'll drop everything for ya!!!
Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Big D !! You call that short term ? Dude, I didnt think she was that bad. Wow! Your right about splitting it on a trail. Glad to see you have the clearance from Clarence to start foolin around. With any luck you can make a run this year. Good luck and good health to you buddie. FjR68
nhdcoye
BSJ Member

Unread post by nhdcoye »

I'm taking it easy and letting the tools do the work.
Thanks for the offers but should be able to pick away during nights and weekends.
Who knew 12 oz curls would come in handy one day :-)
nhdcoye
BSJ Member

Unread post by nhdcoye »

Second weekend is in the books and I now have 2 completely disassembled jeeps :drool:
I did learn my exhaust manifold was basically cracked completly thru :-o , O' well can you spell aftermarket replacement header to match a new cat back exhaust that will replace the crushed beyond functioning existing pipes and muffler :dance:
I will take this opportunity to replace the noisy alternator, clutch,pressure plate, bearing assy and front drive shaft u-joints now that they are easy to get at
I'm on my second can of PB Blaster keeping the exhaust manifold bolts moist and wet in the hopes they will come out in one piece :pray:
Next I'll finish the donor frame by mounting the spring perches before the chassis paint is applied. Route and mount the new brake lines before installing the drive train.
I was shocked to see just how bad the frame was as you can judge by the movement in the video caused by a single finger :-o

< Frame Video > Click to follow link

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

OMG Dave ! Do you only have that sheet metal cross member in the whole frame ? I would add at least two more. There are three cross members in my frame. Kudos , to working on stuff without the body ! Is that trick photography , how do we know that log isnt rotted . (ha ha) I assume your in good with your neighbors. Just started my repairs also. Happy Trails to you ! FjR68
nhdcoye
BSJ Member

Unread post by nhdcoye »

Yes, good with neighbors as I have always lent them a helping hand.
As for the cross brace , Yup thatis it other than the skid plate when it is mounted. I have some 2" squaure tube I will likely add jaust behind the skid to add rigidity. I also have some 3/16 plate I will tack on to the rear cross member as well
wesley4x4
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

nhdcoye wrote:Yes, good with neighbors as I have always lent them a helping hand.
As for the cross brace , Yup thatis it other than the skid plate when it is mounted. I have some 2" squaure tube I will likely add jaust behind the skid to add rigidity. I also have some 3/16 plate I will tack on to the rear cross member as well
idk those neighbors across the street can be a real pain in the butt if you know what i mean :D lol

lookin good :)
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!