Anyone heard of Florida Pneumatic air tools??

ChrisD
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Anyone heard of Florida Pneumatic air tools??

Unread post by ChrisD »

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of Florida Pneumatic air tools?? Apparently they are the manufacturer of some of the Craftsman Pro series air tools. However if you search for Florida Pneumatic, you don't find much about them regarding feedback.

Recently I purchased some air tools. One of the items was more of an impulse purchase (I try to avoid impulse purchases) "3/8-inch Rapid Reverse Air Ratchet", which I can't locate any feedback on. Was thinking of bring the tool back to purchase the item I was going to purchase in the first place the IR107XP made by Ingersoll Rand.

Any opinions would be appreciated!!
Scott
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Anyone heard of Florida Pneumatic air tools??

Unread post by Scott »

Chris wrote:Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of Florida Pneumatic air tools?? Apparently they are the manufacturer of some of the Craftsman Pro series air tools. However if you search for Florida Pneumatic, you don't find much about them regarding feedback.

Recently I purchased some air tools. One of the items was more of an impulse purchase (I try to avoid impulse purchases) "3/8-inch Rapid Reverse Air Ratchet", which I can't locate any feedback on. Was thinking of bring the tool back to purchase the item I was going to purchase in the first place the IR107XP made by Ingersoll Rand.

Any opinions would be appreciated!!
fwiw, I buy most of my air tools at Harbor Freight. I have a store 5 minutes from my house. If I get it home and don't like how it work or the quality seems like it wont hold up i bring it back within within the 30day return policy. Much cheaper than Craftsman.
BUT I do buy regular hand tools from Sears.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have a full set of MATCO tools. You get what you pay for. Any I.R. tool will last and out perform cheaper brands. At least make sure it has bearings not bushings. If you dont have a dedicated line for your tools, with a misting oiler inline, you should oil your tool before each use. At least have a water seperator to keep moister out of you bearings. I run two lines, a black 3/8 id through a drier and regulator,the red 3/8 line runs through a drier,regulator,oiler with 3/8 full flo fittings. Tools wont fit the dry line and the other fittings wont fit the wet line, ie. paint guns, tie inflator and such. FjR68
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ChrisD »

This might be a dumb question.... Lets say your using an air ratchet to tighten up a bolt, for the last turn, the ratchet doesn't have enough power to tighten using the air feed. Can you then use the air ratchet like a normal ratchet to tighten the bolt??

I don't have a dedicated line, but I do add oil before each use.
mexgrizzly
Jeep Year: 1983
Jeep Model: CJ8

Unread post by mexgrizzly »

Yes you can use an air ratchet like a regular ratchet wrench.

IMO I don't care for air ratchets. Air ratchet wrenches are weak and don't tighten very much. When working in tight areas I found the hose to get in the way when trying to use the air wrench like a regular one. I would end up using a hand ratchet wrench to finish tightening the bolt. The time switching tools defeated the benefit of using the ratchet wrench. For the home mechanic I don't think an air ratchet wrench is worth the expense. My $0.02.

I do have one similar to one of these and use it a lot. Fits into tighter places and easy to reverse. :shock:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 921x00003a

-Andy
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

And now for the opposing opinion.......

I have a HF el-cheapo air ratchet wrench and LOVE IT!!!!!!!! To be honest, it doesn't get any love back as I beat the heck out of my cheap tools, but it still comes back for more. If it doesn't have enough oumph to crack a bolt loose, I just hold the throttle and give it a pull (same with tightening them). There's been plenty of times when it's saved the skin on my knuckles spinning a bolt where there's really no room for a regular ratchet to swing. Every time I acquire another parts wagon, it's one of my most used tools when tearing them down.
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

My Matco 3/8 air ratchet wil twist your arm to about 55lbs. The .25 in will do about 25 but will crack sockets before it stops. Other than being loud, they are a stable in the tool crib. The 3/8 gun is good for 190lbs. and the 1/2 thundergun is about 650 ! Can you say SNAP! I love em. FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

I too am a believer in the usefullness of the air ratchet. As pointed out they are very useful when removing fasteners where there is little roon to swing a ratchet. One of my favorite uses is to remove/install radiator fan shroud bolts.
They are usually tough to get to, usually somewhat rusty and excessively long.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020