hard brake line leak...

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

hard brake line leak...

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

IMG_0257.JPG
So I noticed I was loosing break fluid and looked under the heep. Where the hard break line meets the flexible break line (on the side of the hard line) there is some wheeping of fluid. I gave it a slight turn with a wrench but it didnt seem to be loose. What is the best way to go about resolving this? Not sure if there is an o-ring in there or what so I figure Id ask before messing it up... ;)

Also a few times I've notice excessive heat coming from the calipers a few times. Would loss of pressure from something like this cause the calipers to drag some when running down the road?
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: hard brake line leak...

Unread post by Kurt »

Looks like that hard line is fairly new. No "O" rings there, just a double flare on the end of the hard line.
You can try to tighten it some more. If it still leaks then I'd suspect the line wasn't flared right.
Easy enough to cut the bad flare off and re-flare it. Needs to be a double flare, not a single.
I have the tool if you don't have access to one.

No, a leak would not cause a brake to drag. Dragging disk brakes are usually due to a rusty piston/bore in the brake caliper.
The easy fix is to just swap in a pair of rebuilt calipers.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Kurt wrote:Looks like that hard line is fairly new. No "O" rings there, just a double flare on the end of the hard line.
You can try to tighten it some more. If it still leaks then I'd suspect the line wasn't flared right.
Easy enough to cut the bad flare off and re-flare it. Needs to be a double flare, not a single.
I have the tool if you don't have access to one.

No, a leak would not cause a brake to drag. Dragging disk brakes are usually due to a rusty piston/bore in the brake caliper.
The easy fix is to just swap in a pair of rebuilt calipers.
This ^^^ :music-rockout:
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
88jeepxj
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by 88jeepxj »

Yeah these are a set it and forget it sort of thing as long as rust doesn't get a hold of it. I second the bad flare...and that this has been leaking since you replaced the line.
wesley4x4
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

i recently overhauled all the brake lines in the TJ and now their is absolutely no more leaks :). so there were only two bouble flares and those were at the brake booster and all the rest were a double flare. I ended up buying the double flare tool, line cutter and spool of brake line, so if you want some help or just want to borrow it let me know. also i would buy a new fitting from nappa, i think that fitting was about .39c but don't quote me on that our nappa is indapendantly owned :P.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

I've got a double flaring tool Jeff... if you want to come by 7/30 we can fit you in.

JW
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

The jeep is at Lou's for an alignment and tire balancing I'm hoping he can take care of this while he has it.....