taking on water

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

taking on water

Unread post by Frank »

Last year I put 4.56s in the Jeep. The front axle now takes on water EVERY time I have to cross water of almost any depth that involves the housing. I put new seals,bearings , sanded and painted the axle shafts, cleaned the housing,and the vent tube is as high as the radiator. What did I do or not check ???? I dont ever remember this from the years before with the exception of the last run in N.H. 2 years ago when it went through the ice and the water came into the cab deep. Any guess ? FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: taking on water

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Is the prong where the vent attaches on the housing the plastic push in type, or threaded in? Water could get in between in either case.
Silicone the push it and get some fresh teflon tape on the threaded.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Thanks Joe : I didnt think to check it. Its a metal nipple and it threads in. I think there might be room for another set of seals inside and Im not above trying it . What about the wear pattern on the axle shaft from the seal, you can feel it with a thumb nail but its not excessive ? They are different shafts, maybe I will stuff the originals back in with new joints. Have them as spares made up. Thanks again. FjR68
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member

Unread post by Frank »

Update : When I changed gears I had purchased two new master rebuild kits also. After hours of trying to find why the water got in EVERY time I crossed water, I finally got it ! Simple , right if front of you kind of thing. The replacement seal didnt look like the ones installed, so I made a call (Da?) . Yes my guess was right. No sir those seals aren't for an 86 Cj axle, No I dont think its covered . Da,DA ! No more water in the diff . Yippeeeee ! FjR68
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Cool Frank. Water makes a poopy lube.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Good find... too bad they didn't tell you that up front when you bought it.

JW