Don't know how I made it back from Rausch...

johnsxj
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Don't know how I made it back from Rausch...

Unread post by johnsxj »

I guess the Jeep Gods were kinda smiling on me during the Rausch trip :pray: :pray: :pray:

Here's what Auto Zone "lifetime warranty" replacements look like after 800 miles :-o
(click on pic to see vid)

And it was deja-vu when I went to change out the front diff fluid :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Seven out of eight of the bearing plate bolts walked out again :!: :!: And that was with RED Loktite and wave lock washers on them :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: At least this time they didn't take out any teeth on the ring gear or pinion :whistle:
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
johnsxj

Re: Don't know how I made it back from Rausch...

Unread post by johnsxj »

Well I've done some research and it turns out OX is now shipping their lockers with the small bearing cap bolts drilled for safety wire. You can also order replacement parts directly from OX :happy-jumpeveryone: so I've got 8 new bolts and washers on their way :handgestures-thumbupright:
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

johnsxj wrote:I guess the Jeep Gods were kinda smiling on me during the Rausch trip :pray: :pray: :pray:

Here's what Auto Zone "lifetime warranty" replacements look like after 800 miles :-o
(click on pic to see vid)

snipping unrelated content:

:whistle:
You didn't learn to stick with Moog after the trip to Moab?
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

Well, the ones that died in Moab were the original AZ joints I had installed just after the Canada trip. Got replacements mid OCT '09 under warranty that lasted until early this spring. Replaced that set and had maybe 100 miles on them before the trip to Rausch. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna visit Sally, get a set of Moogs and be done with it. (then take the AZ's back and have a set of "oh $H!+" trail spares)
Function over form=4x4

ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Holy crap. The only thing keeping that knuckle together was the weight of your XJ.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Wow... And this time I wasn't there to carry you home!

Glad nothing fell off!

JW
johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

The drive home was shaky from 45-55mph, smoothed out from 60-70mph and would start to get shaky again around 73mph. Had I known the joints got that bad before I left Rausch, I would have changed them out with my other cheap China set!!!!!
Picked up a set of Moog ball joints today. Ox has upgraded their hardware to a 2pc washer and bolts that are drilled for safety wire. Ordered a set of hardware last night.
Function over form=4x4

nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

Safety wire is a PITA, but it works. Make sure you install it so the tension is pulling the right way or it won't hold any better...

JW
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Oh, and by the way

God watches out for fools and drunks - that's how you made it back...
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
84cj
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1984
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by 84cj »

Glad you made it back without any trouble.

How's your tranny fluid? There was something spattered all over the front of my jeep that must have come from you...
johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

Jon... I'm familiar with safety wire, the old REO I'm working on uses it in many areas.

Don... Thanks!!!!!!!!

Curtis... I'll have to take another look at the trans now that I've washed the underside. I do know my t-case is a bit weepy though.
Function over form=4x4

johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

The correct bolts came in from OX today :happy-jumpeveryone: They even sent me a hank of safety wire :dance:
Started in with the blown AZ ball joints and this is what I found......

Is it a bad thing when the ball/stud stays with the knuckle even with the nut off :-o :-o :-o

New Moogs are in place now. Tomorrow I'll take the locker out and put some serious hardware in :banana-guitar:
Function over form=4x4

johnsxj

Unread post by johnsxj »

Brought the ball joint back to AZ and they actually gave me my money back :happy-wavemulticolor:

Got the OX out of the axle and cleaned up the bolt holes again. So now I've got this.....

Of course a bolt snapped on me :doh: and won't come out cause of the locktite :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
But with the 2pc ramp washers, locktite and saftey wire the rest of them better stay put this time :handgestures-thumbupright:
Function over form=4x4

nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

As long as it is apart maybe you should just try to tack weld the bolts in... ;)

Or maybe we should save that project for Joe, next time we are out in the woods...

JW