jeep wranlger 2.5L turbo PDF

wesley4x4
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

jeep wranlger 2.5L turbo PDF

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

found this little PDF on the internet, YES im going to do the mod but not to the DD :P here you go for the link
http://www.splitsec.com/articles/JP1109.pdf
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: jeep wranlger 2.5L turbo PDF

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

you buying a trail rig already? :shock: thought I got bit by the bug hard.... ;)
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
wesley4x4

lol idk it might be in a couple months but i might make my jeep i have now my rig and buy a xj or some ford or Honda for a DD :)
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

No offense but you can't polish a turd. I don't mean to be a jerk or piss on your parade but it's probably a waste of time ans money to put too much effort into trying to make your 2.5 a powerhouse. You would probably get better results by re-gearing your axles or adding a 4:1 low range kit to your transfer case.

If you really have your heart set on trying to squeeze more ponies out of your 2.5 though, try talking to HEEPJEEP on the NEOW forum. He's played with some homebrew supercharger setups on the 4.0 motors before and might be able to help you out a little. He's used super chargers from junkyard late model Ford T-Birds.

Be forewarned, this time of the year it can get a little grumpy over at NEOW so expect some razzing and don't take it personally. Also, if ou go over there, don't forget to introduce yourself before you start posting.

Good luck.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

I've seen that article in the mag. The bottom line: $2,999.00 for the base kit is nuts. Plus, if you can't weld or have fab skills, you'll need to pay for the install and tune. That's a LOT of money to still end up with a four cylinder (and the poopty AX5 tranny). Three thousand bucks would buy you a very nice factory fresh Chevy 350 and maybe even a granny low transmission or TH350/700R4.

I have thought about picking up a turbo from a mid-late 80's 2.3L turbocharged T-bird and making my own. That would be the only way it would be worth the hassle. Even then, there might be reliability issues when compared to a N/A 2.5L. My 2.5L has been dead nuts reliable for years.

As a guy just starting out in this sport, my advice to you, would be to start by finding a nice replacement rear axle (to get rid of the Dana35) and regear to 4.88's. You would have to do this with a turbo anyway. Upgrading your lower control arms to something that won't bend when it looks at a rock would be a great upgrade as well. So would a better gas tank skid. Save your money that you would spend on a DD and buy a second set of dedicated mud tires for the trail (like 33x12.5-15 TSL Swampers). Swampers vs AT's would take anyone from trail zero to trail hero just by bolting them on.

I think it's cool that you've been bitten by the Jeep bug, but from one wheeler to another, I think there are MANY mods that are more important to building a trail rig than starting with the engine. Some may disagree, but having run with some very built rigs and buggies, the 2.5L will hold it's own if your rig is set up right and you have good driving skillz.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
SidewaysTim

Yeah, what Joe said.
Formerly FortyFour
wesley4x4

idk it was just an idea i wasn't completely serous on it just thought it was interesting, and never really heard anyone do it before, but i know posting this i would get comments like that and i was just playing around with the idea of doing this as a little fun project but guess its not worth the money, but if my 2.5L ever blows (if it ever does) ill swap it with a 4BT Cummins 3.9L but that's not until wayyyyy down the road. :) (it is still just talk tho)
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

ZAEDOCK wrote: Swampers vs AT's would take anyone from trail zero to trail hero just by bolting them on
:shock:

and I thought it was my driving skills!!!!!

I <3 my Swampers
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
SidewaysTim

wesley4x4 wrote:idk it was just an idea i wasn't completely serous on it just thought it was interesting, and never really heard anyone do it before, but i know posting this i would get comments like that and i was just playing around with the idea of doing this as a little fun project but guess its not worth the money, but if my 2.5L ever blows (if it ever does) ill swap it with a 4BT Cummins 3.9L but that's not until wayyyyy down the road. :) (it is still just talk tho)
That would be a cool swap. A lot of work, but cool.
Formerly FortyFour
wesley4x4

yeah i saw one on youtube and it just sounded too mean for that jeep lol i bet if you closed you eyes you would think some kind of bread-truck was driving by you :)
DOUG
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2020
Jeep Model: JT Gladiator

Unread post by DOUG »

wesley4x4 wrote: ill swap it with a 4BT Cummins 3.9L but that's not until wayyyyy down the road. :) (it is still just talk tho)
I'll let you know how it goes, we're doing this swap in my Scrambler.
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
wesley4x4

lucky!!!!!!! :P lol i think it would be great if you made a writeup on it or a little parts list and also the do and don'ts :)