Xfer skid options

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Xfer skid options

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Crawling under me heep and looking at my factory xfer skid, it's in pretty tough shape. And I'm guessing when I drop it, it won't look any better. I've been looking at replacement options and manufacturer web sites are..... biased :?

So I'm looking for advice. I wasn't planning on doing a bellyup but I have a BL and an SYE is on order. Maybe a bellyup is the way to go? TeraFlex looks like a good product but the install time (per the Quadratec website) is 4 - 6 hours :shock: I'm guessing that includes the SYE and BL.... or maybe not

What do you think? What's a good replacement option? Or should I stay with my factory R & D* skid

* = Rattles and Dents
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998

Re: Xfer skid options

Unread post by del_TJ »

You might as well ditch the stock skid for a little extra money. Undercover fab sells tough skids for decent prices and they seem to stand up to the abuse well. They come bare steel and you have to paint them but they sell the skids with and without a tummy tuck and even a flat ultra-clearance skid if you want to get creative and start cutting the tub. One of their skids would be cost effective IMO. I don't know if their bellyups come with an adjustment plate to fix the angle of the transfer case shifter - they're cheap to buy though.

I had Lou install a Rokmen bellyup I bought and painted and it created a bunch of headaches that they fixed later - they had to bend my 5spd shifter and install a Novak cable shifter for the transfer case. You may or may not have to deal with some of these things if you install a bellyup. A no lift skid would be the easiest to install.

http://www.undercoverfab.com/21-carbon- ... kid-plates
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

I was looking at UCF, looks like they have good products
del_TJ
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by del_TJ »

I installed an Under Cover Fab aluminum engine skid a couple months back and it was well made, didn't look cheap or anything.
P1000121.jpg
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

One word - Rokmen.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
Modeler
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Modeler »

fortyfour wrote:One word - Rokmen.
I'm running the Rokmen TT and engine skid combo. High quality and has stood up well so far. The engine skid is designed with long arms in mind if I ever get to that point too (probably sooner than I think :lol: ).
Speed costs money, how slow do you want to go?
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Go cheap and get a factory skid and beef it up. I added material to mine and it holds up. I'm not sure how the TJ shovels compare the YJ units though. Maybe we could do a tech day and battery weld some pieces of stove or other appliance to it. I used 1/8" plate they were tossing at work.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

ZAEDOCK wrote: Maybe we could do a tech day and battery weld some pieces of stove or other appliance to it
someone's gonna call OSHA! :lol: