SYE 101

Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

SYE 101

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Looking at advice on SYE's. Can you buy a complete kit with a DS or do you have to install the SYE, measure and then order a custom DS? Or maybe because a TJ SYE is so common, there's a DS that you can order, that will (should) fit?

Prices are kind of all over the map. I've seen a Rugged Ridge for $200, a Rough Country for $350 and a Superlift for $540. And the DriveshaftSuperstore sells a kit where you "do not have to tear down or even remove the TC to install the kit." http://www.driveshaftsuperstore.com/SYE_Kits_$375.htm
Anyone have any experience with that?

There's a huge difference in prices on the SYE kits. I'm not gonna cheap out now, just to spend more later. But what's the best bang for the buck? What would you recommend?

I'm not going all Captain Carnage or baseshakers when I wheel (that's right Ryan... I went there ;) ) but I want something that's not going to fall apart on the moderate stuff that I run
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: SYE 101

Unread post by Frank »

Carl : Ive only helped with one and it was quiet simple to do. You can remove the t-case and clean everything while its out or not. The shaft your replacing is done from the rear but some of the bolts are a pain while its installed. FjR68
beaker
BSJ Member

Unread post by beaker »

First thing - the drive shafts are generally ordered separately as different engine and tranny combinations place the yoke in different places, as well as the SYEs not all being the same.

As to the SYEs, there's two styles, replacement of the output shaft, and hack'n'taps. Hack and taps literally involve removing the slip yoke drive shaft, cutting the output shaft, drilling a hole in the end of it, tapping it, and bolting a flange or yoke adapter onto it. It fits right where the old one was, but its a bit shorter and doesn't slide on the splines once bolted. Its certainly cheaper.

The other style involves replacing the old output shaft with a shorter one, and usually a shorter tail code. This involves opening the transfer case to actually do the work. You can do this without unbolting it from the jeep. The kits are going to be more expensive.

The advantage to the replacement of the tail code and output shaft is you generally gain an extra inch or two over the hack'n'tap depending on the kit. Teraflex's supershorty may be the shortest, and replaces the gear-driven speedo gear with a tone ring & pickup sensor to accomidate the shorter length.

Hope this helps.

-mike
SidewaysTim
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

Tom Woods - you can buy the SYE and Drive Shaft as a kit. You remove your current DS and take a measurement, pick out the kit you want, and order it. Done.
http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

When you look into the full replacement SYEs (e.g. not the hack-n-tap) there are "super shorty" kits available... The main advantage to these (vs. the standard SYE kits) is the tail housing which you install is significantly shorter (a few inches) which helps with drive shaft length, particularly in TJs.

The full replacement kits usually also include a heavier duty output shaft w/ 32-spline yoke which is beefier than the stock shaft. The 32-spline yokes aren't uncommon -- all the SYEs tend to use the same basic design-- but you can't get them from parts stores (as we learned on the spring Rausch Creek trip) and have to special-order replacements from a place like Advanced Adapters / Novak / TeraFlex (depending on whose kit you use).

Having done the SYE in my XJ I can say it isn't too hard. Can be done in an afternoon while the t-case is installed... The only special tools required are snap-ring pliers.

If you're contemplating redoing your suspension it is worth planning this carefully as it will require a new driveshaft, and you only want to pay for that once.

JW
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

Look at the advanced adapters SYE, great product at a fair price. Because of the height of your lift IMO you don't need to purchase a SS SYE. buyer beware if you buy a used driveshaft. I had purchased a used one and because of the shape, cost fixing it resulted the cost of a new one.
Scott
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by Scott »

Bah, Just get the AA SS SYE. Call Lou, he'll walk you through it. OR call Tom, when I did he called Lou and had him send me the SYE while Tom made the shaft... funny. Tom Woods site also has a diagram that tells you how to measure for the correct shaft.
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

For what it's worth, the Tom Woods kit uses an Advanced Adapters SYE and a Woods shaft. Tom Woods has great customer service, often answers the phone himself when you call, and is a big supporter of our sport as well as the NEA.

Also, while you can do an SYE with the T-case in the vehicle it doesn't take much more to remove it and do the work on a bench, just watch out for your rear oil pick-up when you re-assemble it.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
Carl McFly
BSJ Member

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the info
Jon - good call on the lift, hadn't thought of that X factor
Definitely leaning towards Tom Woods
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
DDewar53
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by DDewar53 »

Carl - buy my son's NP231 with SYE already installed and a High Angle Driveline driveshaft. PM me if interested.
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert A. Heinlein
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by Kurt »

Be sure to check with JB before ordering.
In August I ordered a part fro them. Was told they would have it in 5-10 days.
I was informed about a week later that the part was no longer available thru JB.
Checked the JB site a couple of weeks later and the part is still listed as available for ordering. :evil:
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
schwalby

Unread post by schwalby »

nostaw wrote: If you're contemplating redoing your suspension it is worth planning this carefully as it will require a new driveshaft, and you only want to pay for that once.

JW
Not if your like me and replace a Tom Wood's drive shaft ever year. :)
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
ChrisD

Unread post by ChrisD »

schwalby wrote:
nostaw wrote: If you're contemplating redoing your suspension it is worth planning this carefully as it will require a new driveshaft, and you only want to pay for that once.

JW
Not if your like me and replace a Tom Wood's drive shaft ever year. :)
What, does it get that dusty from sitting?? Or due to the rough parking lots while mall crawling? :roll:
Scott
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by Scott »

:lol: