Goodyear MTR with Kevlar

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Goodyear MTR with Kevlar

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Thought Id throw out a quick review of my MTR's with kevlar and offer an important saftey warning via Lou. :lol:

I really like my MTRs they overall have done very well on the runs Ive had them on. Ran them at fall crawl, a few runs and down at Rausch creek. I would guess since August Ive put a bit over a thousand miles on my trail rig and so far the wear is very minimal and they have held up very well with one exception. :shock: On the comp course at Rausch I was able to climb almost anything and they did great in mud and on rock crawls. For almost the entire time Ive used them off road Ive run them at 10psi and get very good grip and flex. Down at Rausch it was suggested I should try them at 8 psi. BIG mistake according to Lou and I do agree with Lou on this one in retrospect. I want to be clear im not blaming anyone for what happened at 8 psi, just passing on what Ive learned... :oops:

Apparently radial tires like this can suffer torsional tears (at least thats what I think Lou called it) and pop a bead easily if run below 10psi. The radial has such a good grip the side wall can split as you apply torque to the tires and they grip but the sidewalls (despite the Kevlar) cant move with the tire and tear as load is applied (yeah i'm starting to talk out my butt here but you get the idea of where i'm going ;) and I'm doing my best to paraphrase what Lou said...) So ive done great at 10pis but popped beads twice at 8psi. One time was on a hill climb and you know what happened there, later that same day I lost a bead in a mini-rock creek on a separate tire (not the one that folded on the climb) that resulted in 3 side wall tears two of which had 4 or so plugs in each. I asked Lou about bead locks and was told that they are not appropriate for radial tires so it looks like I will be staying at 10psi from now on. I still love the tires and highly recommend them as long as your OK with running at 10psi. Lou is seeing what can be done about the other tire and i will update when I hear back from him on that...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
norstar
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Re: Goodyear MTR with Kevlar

Unread post by norstar »

Jeff, what size rim are you using?
I know you have Bassett wheels. Do you know if your rims have the "tire safety bead"? Read the "NOTE" bullet...
http://www.bassettwheel.com/dhole_asphalt.html
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

I run Toyo Open Country MT's at about 6 to 7Lbs off road with Staun internal beadlocks and have put about 15K on them. My tires were Dom's for 20K+ miles before I bought them. Dom ran them between 4 and 6 Lbs. While I respect Lou and his level of knowledge far exceeds mine, I have not experienced any sidewall issues with my radial tires and I run them HARD on road and off. I have a couple of abrasions and surface cuts on the sidewalls but no bubbles or bulges that you would expect from separated or torn plys. I still feel comfortable rolling down the highway at 90mph on these tires. Maybe Lou is correct and the Toyo's just have a better sidewall than the Goodyears. I had planned on getting the Goodyears for my next set but maybe I'll do a little research first.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Jeff, buy my 38's. I'll give you a good deal.

I'm going to Iroks.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Northshore Jeeper
Jeep Year: 1996
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by Northshore Jeeper »

thanks for the info on the Goodyear mtr's. I just ordered 5 of them
Captian Carnage
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

The only issue I have with my MTRs are 8lbs + above off road never blew a bead when the tire burbs out air at 8 psi then you will blow a bead I run a 8 in rim
I cut 1 side wall a 1/4 in cut on a dirt main road not off roading Had it patched and ran a tube for 4 months I still run those a few times a year with the tube
Most sidewall cuts are from driver error not a bad tire If you are on rocks you will get tears and slices and chunks out of you tire that is only normal it depends on your right foot and driving style on how bad they are
I know guys that run MTRs all the time off road never had a sidewall cut
I had 3 sidewall cut tires in my 5 + years in the jeep Each 1 was all my fault I dont blame the tire Its driver error the Mtrs are very good tires I think they are the best radial for on+ off road tire out there thats how i see it

I seen guys cut 2 sidewalls in 10 feet on atrail Its 90% driver 10% jeep I seen jeeps with 31s stay with guys with 35s And not beat up thier jeep any worse than the guys with 35s on
Last edited by Captian Carnage on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

Captian Carnage wrote:The only issue I have with my MTRs are 8lbs + above off road never blew a bead when the tire burbs out air at 8 psi then you will blow a bead I run a 8 in rim
I cut 1 side wall a 1/4 in cut on a dirt main road not off roading Had it patched and ran a tube for 4 months I still run those a few times a year with the tube
Most sidewall cuts are from driver error not a bad tire I know guys that run MTRs all the time off road never had a sidewall cut
I had 3 sidewall cut tires in my 5 + years in the jeep Each 1 was all my fault I dont blame the tire Its driver error the Mtrs are very good tires I think they are the best radial for on+ off road tire out there thats how i see it
Brian - If I read that right, your saying Jeff is a bad driver? OUCH!
Captian Carnage

Unread post by Captian Carnage »

Chris wrote:
Captian Carnage wrote:The only issue I have with my MTRs are 8lbs + above off road never blew a bead when the tire burbs out air at 8 psi then you will blow a bead I run a 8 in rim
Most sidewall cuts are from driver error not a bad tire I know guys that run MTRs all the time off road never had a sidewall cut
Brian - If I read that right, your saying Jeff is a bad driver? OUCH!

All im saying the jeep goes where you point it I have 30 years of off roading behind me From MX racing to MT bike racing It dont matter what sport you into off road
I learned the hard way 30 + MPH crashes on dirt bikes Wheel placement is the whole game
Not to single out Jeff its 75 % of the drivers I wheel with I belong to 5 groups I see alot of diff people doing the same thing
It does take alot of experinence to pick the right line in a second with out thinking about where to go
My racing back ground gave that to me
Most guys dont have 10 years of racing off road ( Mt bikes + Motocross )and another 20 years of going off road for pleasure that what Im saying Im talking from experinence thats all
Most of the drivers that have tire issues is becuase of where the jeep was pointed Not the tires Correct
Some tires work for some driving styles and some dont Thats all
Hoodoo Man

Well when I blew a bead and cut the sidewall I was not romping on it or anything. I was going maybe 5mph on a rocky trail hit something the wrong way and blew a bead. I'm fairly sure given the terrain its inevitable a rock would sneak up on me. When it flatted I stopped within a few feet. I don't claim to be Lucas Murphy but I had more than a few miles on these tires at 10psi and never had a problem with beads on similar terrain, it really seemed like the minute I went to 8psi things went to hell. Didn't have any other issues after I went back to 10psi. I think its likely I'm missing the bead listed in the note from Kai - bought the rims second hand so not 100% sure they are added in or not...
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Captian Carnage wrote:I seen guys cut 2 sidewalls in 10 feet on atrail Its 90% driver 10% jeep I seen jeeps with 31s stay with guys with 35s And not beat up thier jeep any worse than the guys with 35s on
While I agree that often times a good driver can keep up with a bad driver who has a larger rig, to say that sidewall cuts are 90% driver error is a fallacy, IMO. Skill does not always go hand in hand with experience. Sometimes tires suck. Sometimes bad luck sucks.

Some of the best driver's I know have only been wheel'n a few years.

Remember your sticker Brian. "It" happens...
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
Hoodoo Man

Quick update: heard back from Lou, good year could care less. Will try the good old write a letter technique and see where it gets me. Not too pleased with their customer service so far. :(
1970 Jeepster- stock
dvm
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by dvm »

This thread has heightened my curiosity. I have been running my MTR/Ks at 11psi. Some run soon, I want to go down to 7 or 8, just to see what happens. I'll pack a second spare tire though.
The more I learn, the less I know
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Marky »

It makes sense to me that the lower the tire pressure the more the sidewall will bulge placing more weight and stress consistently on a small area of the tire (torsion cuts). Also, the lack of pressure makes physical contact between the wheel rim and rocks (through the tire) more likely (pinch cuts or tears). Remember, the air in there acts to cushion the blow. Remove it and you lose that. Yes, lower pressure will increase your traction, but at a potential price. Some tires have stronger sidewalls and will handle the stress better. It does depend on the quality of the tires as well as the experience level of the driver and yes, luck. For what it's worth I run my tires at about 11psi and in over 2 years of wheeling have never cut a tire. And I'll be the first to admit that much of those two years I didn't necessarily know what I was doing. Luck? Perhaps. Skill? Doubtful. I've always accepted that lower air pressure would yield better grip, but I've also always believed doing so would increase the risk of damage to my tires and wheels.

Oh, crap, I just jinxed myself, didn't I? :o
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor