I think NTB is trying to kill me....

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

I think NTB is trying to kill me....

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Strange people usually know me a whole lot better before it gets to that stage... ;)

Before Fall Crawl I had some death wobble issues and could not get into see Lou or Dom. Dom suggested I go somewhere with an alignment rack. I went to NTB in Nashua and had them do the alignment. It was 115 or so for a years worth of alignment; allegedly you can go in as much as you need to get it redone. seeing how i drive by brail I figure this is a good deal for me. ;) I went to Fall Crawl and the jeep was fine on the way there, but after two days of wheeling the steering felt loose and the DW was more or less back but not as bad. I brought it by Lou?s and he found one of the tie rod ends had backed out and was dangerously loose. He addressed this and a few other issues with my heep but didn?t have time to redo the alignment, so I figure no big deal, I have the year long alignment I?ll bring it back ***** at them a bit for doing crappy job and what not. I was not rude but I did speak to the manager and complained about the loose TRE and bad ball joint they had missed. So they apologized and re-did the alignment. I had to go for an inspection so I had swapped out my 35s for 29s and got my new sticker and had the alignment done. Pic?s on that later :lol: I get the jeep back to my neighbors lift replace the rear shocks and swap the 35s back on and as I?m buttoning things up I noticed BOTH ENDS of the Tie rod are spinning freely. Thank god I noticed this as god only know what may have happened on my 1.5 hr to and from the trail tomorrow, this service is really negligent and I am not a bit happy. I would stay away from this place like the plague. :evil: Any thoughts on what I should do aside never let them work on my jeep again?
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
nostaw

Re: I think NTB is trying to kill me....

Unread post by nostaw »

I'd call them back and talk to the manager again and tell him when you got home you checked the TREs and found that they weren't tight.

See what he says.

JW
Hoodoo Man

Thanks Jon good idea. Also a thank you to Carl who helpend me figure out why they came loose AGAIN after yesterdays trial run. Im thinking hte folks at NTB moved the lock nut assembly off to the far inside to make some adjustements as they were on the sleve but not over the slit, they tightened them to the point the tie rod woundnt rotate (as did I Friday night) but after a hundered or so miles on the road and trial it was dagerously loose again. I slid the lock nuts up to the very end just where the sleeve stops and before the threaded part and cranked down on it. Does anyone know the appropriate torque spec for this?
thanks
Jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
wesley4x4
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

all torque specs for the TJ, i would print this and save it with your haynes manual or TJ reference book

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
Hoodoo Man

Thanks Wes!!
1970 Jeepster- stock
wesley4x4
Jeep Year: 1999

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

Voodoo Chile wrote:Thanks Wes!!
Welcome
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
Carl McFly
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000

Unread post by Carl McFly »

Nice Wes!

20 ft-lbs for the tie rod clamps..... yeah, pretty sure you're safe now
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"