NP231 fluid question

Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

NP231 fluid question

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Hey All.
I was at AZ today and asked the conter guy to look up the fluid for the NP231 for my 97 tJ , he looked it up and said it was Dextron Merc (sic) Lou had mentioned Dextron 3 to me and I believe Lou over this guy. Any big differnece between the two of them? I checked on Jeepforum and it too says Dextron 3 so I can go exchange itat lunch.. Thoughts? thanks

jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
nostaw

Re: NP231 fluid question

Unread post by nostaw »

If you aren't sure call your local dealer's service dept and ask.

I don't remember which I used the last time I changed it. I think they are basically the same though (if they both say 3).

JW
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: NP231 fluid question

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

No "T" in Dexron. ;)

The correct fluid(s) that can be used in a NP231 are Dexron III, Mercon, Mercon V and ATF+3 or ATF+4.

The ATF+4 is a newer spec than the others and is at least a group III synthtic blend to meet that spec. The same goes for Mercon V. The Dexron III spec is outdated (the licensing expired several years ago), as well as the Mercon.

The ATF+4 or Mercon V would be great choice. I like to use Mobil 1 Synthetic multi vehicle ATF. It has a very low pour point, which adds piece of mind if I flat tow my Jeep in the winter.
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005