Super Winch LP8500

COH143
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1993
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Super Winch LP8500

Unread post by COH143 »

Added a Super Winch LP 8500 one year ago. It would not work on a cold January weekend as I guess it was just too cold. I did work the following week when it was warmer. It did work once in the spring. When I tried to use it a few weeks ago it would not work. Finally took the motor housing off last weekend and found it to be full of muddy water. The o-ring that seals the motor housing to the winch body was out of position which let water in over time.

I know it doesn't happen ofter but I will check that on my next one.

2-year warranty. Will let you know what happens with that.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Re: Super Winch LP8500

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

[rant] I just bought a epi9 from them a month or so back. Got two pulls out of it and after a run it wouldn?t turn on at all. Had 12v from the battery good connections etc. Called them and left a vm, no reply. A week later I called them left another vm with Tech service no reply. The Thursday before Fall Crawl I called and left a message; mail box full. WTH? :evil: So now I?ve paid over 500 for a new winch that is a big paper weight. Now I?m ticked. :twisted: So i called back and hit "0" to talk with an operator. She tries to put me through to a few people and I end up leaving a VM with the head of sales who is in a meeting for the next 20min. and will call me right back. An hour goes by and I?m really irked now. :evil: :evil: So I call back and finally get some in TS. I describe the issue, tell them I had the 12V at the solenoid and the battery post yada yada, going to fall crawl etc. The woman I spoke with is out of her league with me (and I?m talking me and shallow water here. :lol: ) but she tells me Mike Hutch will contact me soon. A bit later now 2pm and this day started with calls at 9am. Mike Huth calls me back and he runs me through a bunch of very patient troubleshooting (with my winch in a ARB bull bar you need to be creative to get at some stuff) he determines its the solenoid or hand control. Mike then called Lou at Elias and asks Lou if we can try a controller. Its not the hand controller so Mike overnights me a new solenoid so I can be put together for FC. Doesn?t ask for a SN or anything else, just gives me the hook up. Sunday morning of FC I finally have time to pop it open and with the help of Dave C we soon realize that one of the wires in the solenoid had come off its push connector. We slide it in and everything works great. (On a side note the head of sales did call me back on Thursday night around 4:30pm but given the nature of my message I?m surprised he waited until it was too late to do anything about it and I was a tad disappointed in him but gave Mike a good plug for a job well done but he was nice and we chatted about the donation to FC and what not.)

I spoke with Lou who happened to join us Sunday AM on WW. He said they make one of the best products on the market bar none. BUT when things go wrong they are woefully understaffed to handle direct customer contact and are really in a full time scramble to keep up with their customers. You may want to check the connections inside the solenoid as it may be as simple as a loose connection like mine. I?m sure if you can show your proof of purchase or registered it at the time of purchase they will take care of you. Don?t be afraid to mention you wheel with a club as well. [/end rant]

Good luck!
Jeff
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
COH143
Jeep Year: 1993
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by COH143 »

I am thinking I will get a cheap Rugged Ridge winch and when/if it breaks I'll buy another one. Customer service seems a foreign concept at Super Winch. Done with them.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I've has a SuperWinch 9500 for 3 years now, Never had a single issue.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars