power steering pump (its yelling at me :'( )

wesley4x4
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

power steering pump (its yelling at me :'( )

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

so this morning i went to go start the jeep to be on my merry way to school and when i started it it made this noise of WWWWWHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN and so i threw more power steering fluid in the resivore to get it to shutup but it didnt listen and now when i get around 3,000 rpm's it starts whining agin

heres my theory

the leak turned itself into a bigger leak and now when i give the jeep around 3000 rpms the preshure releaves itself threw that leak not applying engouh fluid to the pump becuase the preshure diped due to the leak

i just wanted your 2c before i go dumping money into it
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
SidewaysTim
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: power steering pump (its yelling at me :'( )

Unread post by SidewaysTim »

Where's the leak? You should probably fix that before you burn out your pump.
I am the foremost authority on my opinion.
Formerly FortyFour
wesley4x4

what ive been told alot is its the seal where the steering shaft go's into the gear box(not the pitman arm side top side)

i think we are going to have a seal changing party soon :) me and like 4 other kids that go to my school and wheel with me have this issue...

i just hope its not to late at that noise is the pump saying "IVE HAD IT WITH YOU AND YOUR SHINANIGINS".. but oh well poop happens
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Rev your Jeep to red line again...
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

If you replace the pump save yourself some hassle and buy one with a tank on it.

JW
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by ChrisD »

Don't touch it! It's just trying to be louder than you exhaust!
johnsxj
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by johnsxj »

Try adjusting the fan belt!!!!!
You can't bolt on experience!!!!!!
Function over form=4x4

"The opinions expressed in this program do not reflect the views of this network."
wesley4x4

ZAEDOCK wrote:Rev your Jeep to red line again...
it didn't work :sad:
nostaw wrote:If you replace the pump save yourself some hassle and buy one with a tank on it.

JW
thanks ill take that into mind if i go find a new one... do you know which pumps that will fit my 2.5 wrangler, that have the integrated oil reservoir
Chris wrote:Don't touch it! It's just trying to be louder than you exhaust!
LOL maybe
johnsxj wrote:Try adjusting the fan belt!!!!!
the serpentine belt is kind of warn... didn't think about that ill try that out thanks john :)
nostaw

Unread post by nostaw »

wesley4x4 wrote:
nostaw wrote:If you replace the pump save yourself some hassle and buy one with a tank on it.

JW
thanks ill take that into mind if i go find a new one... do you know which pumps that will fit my 2.5 wrangler, that have the integrated oil reservoir
No, I don't... Before you buy one call around to different stores and ask 1) If they have a pump, and 2) if the one they have has the reservoir attached.

I've read a few threads about guys find there are 2 price points for a refurb pump, buy the cheaper one, then find out they have to use the reservoir from the old one, break the tank while trying to take it apart, then they find out you can't buy just the tank and you've got to buy the whole new refurb pump w/ the tank, or go to a junk yard to try to get a tank (etc...).

JW
wesley4x4

nostaw wrote:
wesley4x4 wrote:

JW
No, I don't... Before you buy one call around to different stores and ask 1) If they have a pump, and 2) if the one they have has the reservoir attached.

I've read a few threads about guys find there are 2 price points for a refurb pump, buy the cheaper one, then find out they have to use the reservoir from the old one, break the tank while trying to take it apart, then they find out you can't buy just the tank and you've got to buy the whole new refurb pump w/ the tank, or go to a junk yard to try to get a tank (etc...).

JW