shock and slider recommendations

gus310
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1995
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

shock and slider recommendations

Unread post by gus310 »

as far as shocks, i have a rubi exp 2.5" lift that i bought with no shocks from CL, looking for shocks. the springs are pretty stiff, im assuming bc they are still pretty new, havent been wheeled yet and have very few street miles on them. i will be putting 1" ext shackles to compliment the springs.

what ive been pondering is whether i should splurge and go with some bilstein 5100's or just a more basic twin tube shock. will the high pressure charged 5100's give me any advantage off road as far as traction or articulation or will the ride be too stiff and uncomfortable? i will be using this jeep as a dd as well, and think the softer twin tube shocks will make for a better ride on the street, and am leaning towards them, but thought id get some other opinions before i pull the trigger. if i do go with some cheaper twin tubes, what do you guys think about brands. my brother liked his rs5000's, i had a rustys lift in my old jeep i liked fine, and RE has some doestchtech units that would prob do the trick. what say you?

sliders, what are my options, i dont need anything crazy expensive, any local companies that can make a basic slider, maybe with a tube step on the side? smittybuilt xrc sliders? i looked around some and it looks like i can stay well under $300 for a good set. opinions?

thanks for the help!
mightymeglet
Jeep Model: XK Commander

Re: shock and slider recommendations

Unread post by mightymeglet »

gus310 wrote:sliders, what are my options, i dont need anything crazy expensive, any local companies that can make a basic slider, maybe with a tube step on the side? smittybuilt xrc sliders? i looked around some and it looks like i can stay well under $300 for a good set. opinions?
Crown Automotive, they are in Canton Ma. They probably have the shocks you want as well come to think of it.
Call Jeff- (781) 821-2276
Account no longer in use.
wesley4x4
Jeep Year: 1999
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by wesley4x4 »

shocks i would have to say i love my Skyjacker Hydro 7000 i abuse them and they yet to foam or giveout on me :)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/produ ... C16016+104
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
Haters, they don't have 4 bangers, and aren't JDM like me!
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Hey Gus, what ever happened to that YJ thing you were building?

As far as shocks go, I run old Heckethorn's that are about 15 years old. They started to leak a little and I was thinking about replacing them with Rough Country Nitro 9000's. Seeing as how my rig on 38's sees very limited street use, it's not a priority.

I run the older Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers and they kick azz. If I were to buy new though, I would consider these:
http://www.shrockworks.com/Jeep-YJ-Rock ... 16173.html
Carl McFly wrote:X2, I agree with Joe. And not just because he's man candy
BSJ President 2003 - 2005
ChrisD
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ChrisD »

Joe - Why that brand?? What do you like about them over others?
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

Chris wrote:Joe - Why that brand?? What do you like about them over others?
They're thick, run pretty deep under the body (even better than my PSC's), catch two body mounts(PSC uses the middle), and they run .134" tube.
gus310

Unread post by gus310 »

the old jeep got parted out, gas prices were up and i felt that in with my tahoe (which also got sold), i still didnt have a trailer, jeep still needed a lot of work and my previous girlfriend and loss of hours at my job were keeping me from putting money into it, plus i couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start. so i parted it out for a fresh start. $1500 for a 95 with 175k on the clock 4.0/ax-15, $400 for a brand new RE 2.5" lift on CL w/o shocks (hence this thread), $350 for some used 35" bfg at's and some cragar soft 8's from jegs. ive got some other cash to finish this build to be on 35's and street/trailworthy. i havent been taking many pics, but i can post a thread with some pics in a few days. should have this one built pretty well for about $5000, however i need about another $1k for front axle gears and chromos...oh yeah, hoping to finish the 8.8 install tomorrow.

those sliders look pretty nice, but $430 shipped seems a bit steep. any local companies that could make something like that for a bit cheaper, at least save the shipping?

as for the shocks, seems people like the cheapo twin tube units just fine, any thought as far as any added performance from the hp bilsteins before i buy some cheap ones? ill prob be heading to elias tomorrow for a few things..
gus310

Unread post by gus310 »

going with some bds 5500 series shocks that lou had in stock at elias, well half in stock, the rears will be in in a few days. sliders may be custom built, going to price some steel.
ZAEDOCK
BSJ Member

Unread post by ZAEDOCK »

gus310 wrote: sliders may be custom built, going to price some steel.
That's the way I like to go, but with kids ranging from 1st to high school, time does not always allow.

My youngest want me to build him a "Mario cart". I think I need to order some more tOOb. Damn kids, just like Dad. :lol:
gus310

Unread post by gus310 »

haha, make the kid in highschool start working for his keep by building you parts and the young kids go karts!
Scott
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by Scott »

"GUS" needs to join the club! I think it's time you pony up the $50 an do some real wheeling... SUKAH! :P
gus310

Unread post by gus310 »

ive got to finish the jeep first, its only 2wd right now, how much to join if im already a member of ec4wda and the nea?
gus310

Unread post by gus310 »

bout time i wheeled with you scott, someday!
Scott
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by Scott »

I'm a member and I don't even own a Jeep. lol

BTW, EC4WD and the NEA are associations, not clubs. You can't be an individual member w/o being in a club. :ugeek:
gus310

Unread post by gus310 »

right, but isnt that a big part of club dues, paying for nea and ec memberships?