New Member - Ken from Bristol

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
ken_martin
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

New Member - Ken from Bristol

Unread post by ken_martin »

Hi. I'm Ken from Bristol, RI. Just moved back East from 5 years in Texas, where I caught the bug. About 4 years of progressive 4/5 trail wheeling and 'off grid' touring. Lots of trailside repairs! Have a 2018 JLU bolt-on Sport. My first Jeep was a CJ back in the 80's.
As for build ... 'it started with a phone mount'. Then a Mopar 2" lift and 35s. Wow! That all looked really cool. But, without lockers, kind of sucked for real wheeling. So, on a budget, got a Spartan lunchbox for the front and kept the LSD in the rear D44. That got me out there - on some 4s - but still could not hang with the built rigs. That's when I basically replaced the entire undercarriage. 5.38 geared UD60's with big brakes, 8-bolt pattern and electric lockers, 39" KM3s, adams 1350 shafts, ARB diff covers, synergy chromoloy tie rod and drag link, AiRock air suspension and 2.5" radflo shocks, terraflex alpine longarms, catback exhaust (got tired of reattaching mufflers with bailing wire coming off ledges), full aluminium artec bellypan, steel frame-mounted rails, aftermarket high fenders and inner fenders, lots of custom cuts/welding on wheel wells, bumper, rails, to get everything to fit together and geometry back to normal, york engine-mounted 10CFM onboard air, PSC big-bore steering, genright aluminium fender, rash guards, tire carrier, and warn 12.5k synthetic winch. For overlanding, put on an UrsaMinor roof top for sleeping, goosegear 60 delete, American Adventure Labs sliders and drawers, fridge, camp kit, yadda ... yadda. Have not yet installed 180W of solar panels (roof and top) and Propex heater to keep things nice and toasty inside for winter car camping. Also got some custom snow chains that I have to tweak some more (they are really semi truck chains - only ones that would fit). Other stuff mentioned in the diagram like ARB awnings, lots of lights, camping battery/charger and back-up dual ARB compressor. I am really happy with the build and am now in the process of taking stuff off. First will be those huge KC lights. Want to go smaller LEDs that won't get all caught up in brush. Also want to get rid of factory sidemirrors that kept getting destroyed on trail and replace with removables. Need to get diff breather tubes and other water-wading improvements. Saw lots of totally trashed rigs where folks went in water without really understanding the havoc that brings. Probably also going to remove that other back seat and go full goose gear delete. Also want to replace heavy steel middy bumper with something aluminium. Oh, totally forgot to mention the stero upgrade and subwoofer ... you have to do that! And, of course, full compliment of redundant comms, first aid, tools, parts and fluids I need for my rig, recovery gear, etc. There's a fine balance between having 'everything' and just what you need for the trail. I am still lookinig for that balance.
Anyway, looking forward to getting out there with y'all!
Attachments
IMG_1255.jpeg
Snowbird copy.jpeg
Snowbird copy.jpeg (143.98 KiB) Viewed 119167 times
IMG_9680.jpeg
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: New Member - Ken from Bristol

Unread post by KenCal »

Welcome to Bay State Jeepers Ken.
Rick and Dawn Jeepin
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Rick and Dawn Jeepin »

Hi Ken-
Welcome to the club! I must say, I don't read anyone's entire build sheet, but I did yours! Very impressive!
I hope to see your Rig out on the trail sometime soon.

-Best
Rick & Dawn :text-welcomewave:
Rick & Dawn
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary
Jeep Year: 2021

Unread post by TheDirector »

Nice write up and I love the diagram! Welcome to BSJ
Turn up the radio and Bump it! that will buff right out.
Cory Rustin
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2019

Unread post by Cory Rustin »

I’m from Texas! Where did you live down there? Hope to see you on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk