YJ/CJ brakes

HBP40
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2007
Jeep Model: WK

YJ/CJ brakes

Unread post by HBP40 »

For the folks who run YJs and CJs, I made a little bit of a snap decision recently and I picked up a CJ (kind of). Has YJ frame, waggy 44s front and rear, amc 360, tf727 and dana 300. CJ nose is about all thats CJ on it.

In low range, this thing feels like its going to drive through the brakes, a lot more than normal. Disc brakes all around (15 inch wheels though), and it has the hydroboost so when its rolling and I stomp the pedal, it’ll lock everything up. But normal braking gives you that feeling like ehhh is it going to stopppp…

It has been a long time since I’ve driven an older rig so maybe a lot of it is ‘driver mod’ needed.

So, what do folks run for brakes? I feel like a bigger rotor and dual piston calipers would be the next move…

A manual swap also isn’t off the table… shifter on the 727 sucks (if the 727 stays Ill get a new one, theres a cost), only a 3 speed, driveshaft packaging to get a flat belly is another cost/issue.

Anyway, be curious what other folks think who have experience with these. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott McNee
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: YJ/CJ brakes

Unread post by KenCal »

Sounds like a fun ride a ride Scott. Did you bleed the brakes and is the brake fluid a dark color?
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

In my 92 YJ I run a Dodge master cylinder with a TJ brake booster and manual line locks.
D60's, 4 wheel disk brakes, stock twin cylinder brake calipers up front and singles in the rear. Works well.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
HBP40
BSJ Member

Unread post by HBP40 »

Yeah Ken - could def need a bleed, I haven’t turned a bolt on this thing yet, haven’t even made it to the RMV. Theres a couple notes from the shop the previous owner had the hydroboost put in that make me think the system needs some adjustment. But good point, thats where to start.

Kurt - I remember the line locks from when I rode with you fall crawl 2022, liked how you have that set up. That dodge master, TJ booster setup is pretty much what I’ve read/heard about as a good ‘go-to’ but thats all internet posts haha good to hear a real person has the same recommendation!

Scott McNee
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I don't know anything about the brake issue, but I do have a 727 sitting in my garage I have no plans for. Just need to take the D300 off of it first.

Congrats on the new project!
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Converter could be to tight. Be ready to throw into neutral until figure it out.
Check and see if they removed proportioning valve. That gave me fits on cj.
I had good luck with late 70's early 80's Corvette booster and Master. Also if it was wheeled or sat long time check the brake pads.
Make sure have good vacuum going to booster too.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
HBP40
BSJ Member

Unread post by HBP40 »

Found some more invoices from previous owner. Per the install folks vacuum was good, they did put in a GM disc/disc proportion valve. Looks like fluids flushed and calipers/pads/rotors were ok. Looks to be done spring of 2023 so not too long ago.

The install guy noted in the future should upgrade from the single piston caliper.

Finally getting the reg/title done today so hopefully I can spend a little more time on it soon.

Appreciate the feedback, I got some things to double check

Scott McNee
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Extend the brake pedal longer or out farther so has better ratio of throw helps too
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
HBP40
BSJ Member

Unread post by HBP40 »

That actually might help a lot, they converted the 727 from the original manual, still using the old ‘small’ brake pedal…

Scott McNee