LSD vs Lockers

You can talk about anything here
DaveJ
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2023
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

LSD vs Lockers

Unread post by DaveJ »

Does anyone here have experience and an opinion about LSD (Limited Slip Differential) on green and blue trails? I have a Sahara with a rear LSD upgrade and 32" KO2's. Although not a locker, I expect this can be good enough in some situations when traction compromised and when a wheel is not on the ground. Thoughts?
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: LSD vs Lockers

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Yes its better than open. But it does not compare to a locker.
You will be fine on green and some blues. Plenty of people wheel them open. Just pay attention to the trail requirements.
Sometimes a locker isn't only required to make for a better day but also helps from the trails getting holes dug in them.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by Car Jack »

Dave,

My JKU has the Jeep factory rear LSD. Something to keep in mind is that they are clutch based and the clutches wear out. When? Some people say at 30k miles. I do notice at 40k miles on mine, it still does work. I would say that tires are more important. Both larger size and more aggressive tread. I went as aggressive as I could find, this side of super swampers and what I could get up without winches or tow straps being used was a ton. Without lockers, there are a number of places we can't go. I've been procrastinating getting at least a rear locker and am at the point where I do want to go to some of the more difficult places but know without the lockers, I can't. If you're at over 50k miles, your rear locker is likely doing nothing anyways.

That all said, with the 295-70-17 Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires and a winch, I am able to do greens and blues. Most of the times I need to winch, I screwed up and a locker may or may not have gotten me out of it.
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by TheDirector »

I wheeled for years open open and you will be fine most likely where you are willing to put a brand new daily driver, you can compensate with some momentum or recovery gear, winch. Run it for a bit, skids first, then consider what you like to do and see if you want to upgrade later.
Turn up the radio and Bump it! that will buff right out.