3. The harbor freight only comes with 80’ of cable is that usually long enough
MDSRACING398
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Re: Winch

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

1. no
2. Kind of. You kind of answered your own question asking it. Some have them they work ok slow as f.
3. 80 is plenty that's what extenders are for.
4. Most importantly upgrade the synthetic line when can. A lot safer and less weight also.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by KenCal »

Hi Jon, mandatory equipment can be found in Article 5 of our By-Laws. From the BSJ Site click on About Us then click on By-Laws. Hope this helps.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by ASauer17 »

It is not required but limits you on what trails you can go on if you don't have lockers.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

I went a few years with BSJ without a winch and never had an issue. That meaning that so many others had winches and I had tow ropes so there was never a time I "HAD" to have one. I ended up buying one when I got a steel front bumper and I've used it both on the trails and at home pulling out a stump, tying off a tree I was cutting down so it went in the direction I wanted. I would stick with a "real" winch and not a harbor freight one. I would also stay away from wireless controls as they all seem to have significant delays. You don't have to get a US model Warn for big bucks, but stuff like Quadratec work well and have all parts available if you need to fix or rebuild it. Come on runs and look at what people are using and ask them about them. I have chosen a lot of what I've bought doing this. Oh, and I very much support what Mark said about going with synthetic line. Metal line is very scary. When synthetic line brakes, it can be dangerous, but instead of swinging 50 yards to do huge damage, it just drops to the ground.
Hoodoo Man
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

honestly, the Harbor freight winches are pretty good. I did have an issue with "long pulls" and the motor's thermal cut-off required me to wait a bit to continue winching as it needed to cool for a few minutes to start again. Some people don't install the cut-off for that reason but given the cost and the convenience of the 39 dollar wireless remote, it's a nice thing to have in case you need it. If you want to follow people into crazy stuff you may want a better winch that works for longer harder pulls. I really like Superwinch and they have great customer support. They used to be local until they got bought out.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
beaker
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2000
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by beaker »

Fitting if you're thinking about winches...
TheDirector
BSJ BOD Secretary
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by TheDirector »

The harbor freight badland 12k gets okay reviews, but the Superwinch 10K is synthetic and cheaper and faster and better, look around: https://rackupgo.com/products/superwinc ... nch-171020
Turn up the radio and Bump it! that will buff right out.
Baseshakers
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Unread post by Baseshakers »

I have 3 Superwinches on my rig (front, rear and suck down) and they have had zero issues in 10+ years… and I use the hell out of them. Not sure if Superwinch quality is still the same now but at least they used to make very reliable winches!
"god had his sh!t together when he made boobies" -franky
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I've had mine on my rig for 4+ years and never had a hiccup...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars