Transmission Pains (The Pocket Kind)

BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Transmission Pains (The Pocket Kind)

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Well, Looks like my JKU is out of commission for the next month :icon-eek:

Just heard from the Shop, Torque Converter is toast, the Front Oil Pump is Toast, Oil is burnt, and lots of friction material in the pan. so all the friction plates went with the burnt oil. So Rebuild costs almost as much as an ordered Remanufactured. However I found a shop out in Colorado ( ATS Diesel ) that builds performance W5A580 transmissions for Jeep JKs, and it's only $500 over the Remanufactured price...

Here comes the pain. Wait for just a normal rebuilt was 4 weeks, and the Wait on the Performance is 3, so Great!, Cost, Reman is $2790, and Performance is $3200 Both have ~$700 Shipping So I'm about to eat $4K for my new Trans OUCH!!

So much for Axels this year...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
SKIJP1
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Re: Transmission Pains (The Pocket Kind)

Unread post by SKIJP1 »

Just installed their 42RLE stage 3 in my 2007, couple hiccups but their customer service is awesome. Liking it so far. Had the same dilemma cost wasn't much different than generic reman and their warranty was the best. Are you installing or shop?
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

SKIJP1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:18 pm Just installed their 42RLE stage 3 in my 2007, couple hiccups but their customer service is awesome. Liking it so far. Had the same dilemma cost wasn't much different than generic reman and their warranty was the best. Are you installing or shop?
I have a Shop in Clinton I trust for the installation (Mike Z Customs). I don't touch the Engine or Trans, and I only do Oil on the Diffs (Engine, Trans, etc also), as those things are WAY outside of my Comfort Zone. I'm looking to pick up some Junkyard 1 Tons and build them out mostly myself, but we will see...

Note I checked some other places, and all of them were more than $1K-2K for the cost (Gear Head Designs, and Monster Transmission). But when I told my Installer that I was looking at ATS he mentioned that he has worked with them before and they had awesome Service and High-Quality work...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
SKIJP1
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2021
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by SKIJP1 »

Awesome sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to meeting .
mudpup96
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by mudpup96 »

Following, My NAG1 is getting a little tired after my swap and i've been eyeing the ATS trans as well. It been tough to find reviews for the newer 2012+ autos
"it ain't stupid if it works!"
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Will keep up with a review for MudPup... It'll be at the 101 in April installed. you can slide under to take a look if you choose...
--
mudpup96
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by mudpup96 »

How's that transmission holding up?
"it ain't stupid if it works!"
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

mudpup96 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:21 am How's that transmission holding up?
Running Great, Picked up some Torque in the process. I'm on 38" still with 3.73 gearing, so for me to get the back wheels chirping is a LOT of returned torque. Runs cooler (a larger pan holds 2 more quarts of fluids, so a bit cooler by design).

I'm Still looking to do Axels soon and will be gearing change to likely 4.88s then, with the lockers.

But before that...
My stock Radio just died...
Found out it's a known issue, Crappy Souldering from the factory breaks down and you lose all volume control. Looking at a new Sony Head unit from Trail Seven. (I can't live without a radio, so Yes, Radio before Lockers :-o ...

https://trailseven.com/collections/jeep ... 8487742717
--
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by KenCal »

Hey Bob check out Crutchfield for auto stereo and more. they even will provide direct plug and play wiring harness for $25. Great company. Selection and pricing plus 24 tech support.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

KenCal wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:25 am Hey Bob check out Crutchfield for auto stereo and more. they even will provide direct plug and play wiring harness for $25. Great company. Selection and pricing plus 24 tech support.
I worked with them in the past and had a setup from them in my Scion xB...
--
KenCal

Unread post by KenCal »

Nice, good company. Stock JK radios are pure junk.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

ROFLMFAO!!!

My new head unit and sub is shipping, to arrive on Tuesday. The old head unit must have felt it, about 5 minutes after starting the Jeep up this afternoon, the radio came on…

AC/DC’s Back in Black immediately started up, after the song ended, another song was just about to start on Sires XM 38 “Ozzy’s Boneyard” and static for a Second, and silence.

Clearly my jeep is now haunted!!!
--
KenCal

Unread post by KenCal »

That's funny. :lol:
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Just received the new Radio gear...

Sony AX6000 (w/ XM radio and Maestro controller to adapt it for OEM controls), 10" Kicker Sub, and backup camera...

--
KenCal

Unread post by KenCal »

Sweet