JK

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

JK

Unread post by Frank »

This is going to sound totally stupid. I told a friend Id ask. He dont wheel ! Hes only been off road once. He thinks his JK rides to harsh ! Are there any spring Cos. that have a softer rate spring and a softer rate shock? He also has switched to normal style tire instead of off road. Any suggestions on how to look at this problem other than buyin him a car. Thanks Frank
KenCal
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: JK

Unread post by KenCal »

May not be the springs at all. Shocks play more of a role in the type of ride. I would suggest a softer shock. also check tire air pressure, could be it's too high.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by BlackKnight »

Jeeps ride "Harsh" because they use Full Solid Axles, not an independent suspension. Yes, Spring rate and shocks can "soften" the ride a bit, but with Solid axles anything one wheel feels the other one does also and they send that up through the steering and body...

Not wanting to sound too harsh, but If he wanted a smooth ride, should have bought a Lexus...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Verify tire pressures. I run about 28
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I'd run an aftermarket shock like a Bilstein, these usually have better valving then stock and can provide a nicer ride. If it's a stock suspension, not else can be done. Do a chalk/grease test on the tires and verify proper contact patch and adjust psi from there. Is it a 4-door or 2-door?
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Car Jack
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2014

Unread post by Car Jack »

Honestly, if he wants a ride that doesn't hurt as much plus better handling, he'd be better off with a vehicle with 4 wheel independent suspension, unibody to start. Beyond that, test driving cars would help him find what he's looking for.

On the bright side, JK's ride better than TJ's which ride better than YJ's. I've had all 3. I do tell friends who like my JKU to be aware that it rides like a 1952 International Harvester dump truck, so if they're going to everyday the thing, be ready for that.
HBP40
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2007
Jeep Model: WK

Unread post by HBP40 »

Tell him to try out a new Bronco, all the fun of no doors and top, all the good of IFS (if he doesn’t wheel, not a whole lot of downside).

*he suggests as he ducks a thrown wrench from a loyal Jeeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott McNee
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

HBP40 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:15 pm Tell him to try out a new Bronco, all the fun of no doors and top, all the good of IFS (if he doesn’t wheel, not a whole lot of downside).

*he suggests as he ducks a thrown wrench from a loyal Jeeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I reserved one almost 2 years ago, still waiting. There are some available but they are marked up like crazy if you can find one. lol
Tire pressures make a world of difference
Hoodoo Man
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1970
Jeep Model: C101

Unread post by Hoodoo Man »

Tire pressure is likely a big part of that. I've seen people 'air down' to 20 psi in JKs, I know stock air pressure is around 32 psi but when I was getting an oil change the screen had tire pressure at 45 psi. :-o As someone up-thread said have them try around 28 psi.

I can say in my JKU the stock ride was harsh when I put in my 2.5 tera flex lift it was a lot better ride quality especially going in and out of parking garages and other spots with big transitions on the road.
1970 Jeepster- stock
2003 Jeep Rubicon 2" BDS Spring lift 35s and MCE fenders
2012 Jeep JKU 2.5' Terafkex spring lift, Rock Hard Bumpa, skids, BodyArmor4x4 sliders..
Jchris
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Jchris »

The first thing to suggest is definitely Tire Pressure and Shocks.

Maybe we would need more information about his current configuration in order to give better advice. May I ask: was his suspension modified or is it stock ??

If his suspension was modified then perhaps the suspension geometry is not optimally balanced/tuned, and then perhaps that is causing/exacerbating the symptoms of harshness every time he hits bumps.

Lastly, yes replacing the springs is a last option to carefully think about (for example if everything above checks out OK), installing progressive springs in the rear of a Jeep that doesn’t require carrying heavy loads might be an option (progressive springs are not as stiff, so they might “bow” easier or they might reduce load carrying capacity, etc).
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

RandyCarol wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:46 am I reserved one almost 2 years ago, still waiting. There are some available but they are marked up like crazy if you can find one. lol
My neighbor ordered one from a dealer in Maine 6 months ago and he had it 2 months ago. MSRP, let me know if you want the information. It is a soft top, but a Sasquatch.

Regarding the ride, "it is a jeep thing, you don't understand." My neighbor bought a jeep and sold it 9 months later since she almost rolled in driving 85 on 495. Not everyone wants to make compromise of a terrible, loud ride for the open air feeling. I asked why she was driving 85 MPH is the jeep in the first place... Now she drives a Subaru wagon thing and is much happier.

20+ years ago, Old Man Emu made the "softest" springs/custom valved shocks for YJs. Maybe a matched set of springs and shocks are in order to soften the ride?

Chris
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

ChrisL wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:03 am
RandyCarol wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:46 am I reserved one almost 2 years ago, still waiting. There are some available but they are marked up like crazy if you can find one. lol
My neighbor ordered one from a dealer in Maine 6 months ago and he had it 2 months ago. MSRP, let me know if you want the information. It is a soft top, but a Sasquatch.

Regarding the ride, "it is a jeep thing, you don't understand." My neighbor bought a jeep and sold it 9 months later since she almost rolled in driving 85 on 495. Not everyone wants to make compromise of a terrible, loud ride for the open air feeling. I asked why she was driving 85 MPH is the jeep in the first place... Now she drives a Subaru wagon thing and is much happier.

20+ years ago, Old Man Emu made the "softest" springs/custom valved shocks for YJs. Maybe a matched set of springs and shocks are in order to soften the ride?

Chris
My original order was a 2 door Sasquash manual with lux package, biggest unicorn out of all of them. Ford basically said it could take forever. I switched it up, it was built in July and is currently sitting at the factory waiting to be released. Glad your buddy didn’t have to wait forever
ChrisL

Unread post by ChrisL »

Awesome, are you getting the hard top as well? I told my neighbor to get the hard top and the wait was very long. His is a 4 door.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

ChrisL wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:45 pm Awesome, are you getting the hard top as well? I told my neighbor to get the hard top and the wait was very long. His is a 4 door.
Yes, hard top. Those were hard to come by but are becoming more common. Hope he is enjoying it, I’ve seen a bunch around but none with both the doors and top off